• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Help required for a friend please

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help required for a friend please

Hi,
    Ive very little experience in the employment law field and my friend is in need of urgent advice please. There are a few issues that need addressing.

My friend is an NHS trained nurse, and she has for the last few years worked full time for a private school as the schools on site nurse, working on a self-employed basis.

Due to the recession all the teachers and staff, whether employees or self employed were asked to agree to a few reduced hours per week until the situation improved, on the understanding that it would be made up to them when the economic situation improved.

My friend has never had a contract, but I imagine, and I could be wrong here that she has an implied contract by agreeing to reduced hours along with all the other staff?

Anyway a few days ago she learnt that the school was intending to join forces with another private school in the same city. A co-ordinator ? from the other school told her that a nurse at her school was no longer required and she was out of a job, then proceeded to ask her when she would be leaving.

My friend was in shock, and the coordinator went on to say you can always go back and work for xxxxx. Friend said "how do you know that I used to work for xxxxx" to which the coordinator replied that when accessing her file she came across that info.

My questions
    1. Given that my friend, along with employees of the school was asked to agree to reduced working hours does my friend, as a worker albeit on a self-employed basis have any employment rights?
    2.Secondly, what right did her school have to allow a 3rd party (the other school) to access her personal records?

Any advice appreciated
    Tags: None

Re: Help required for a friend please

Originally posted by CYNthesys View Post
    Hi,
    Ive very little experience in the employment law field and my friend is in need of urgent advice please. There are a few issues that need addressing.

My friend is an NHS trained nurse, and she has for the last few years worked full time for a private school as the schools on site nurse, working on a self-employed basis.
    The 'self-employed' label is only a small factor when determining the status of a worker.
    More importance would be put on factors such as mutuality of obligation, the degree of control the employer has over the worker (ie is your friend free to rearrange her schedule, or can she send someone else there instead of herself), the degree of integration into the organisation, does she receive what could be seen as a wage rather than an invoiced payment (if you see what I mean - think paying a builder for a job - even if it's spread over a number of payments, it won't resemble a wage).
    Ready Mixed Concrete v Ministry of Pensions [1968] 2 QB 497
    Carmichael v National Power [2000] IRLR 43

Due to the recession all the teachers and staff, whether employees or self employed were asked to agree to a few reduced hours per week until the situation improved, on the understanding that it would be made up to them when the economic situation improved.
    This could be regarded as a modification of the contract - there is an offer, an acceptance, & a consideration for value, that being the promise of 'making it up to them' - of course, it could be countered that the economic situation has not yet improved, & events have intervened, rendering the 'promise' as impossible.

My friend has never had a contract, but I imagine, and I could be wrong here that she has an implied contract by agreeing to reduced hours along with all the other staff?
    There is no requirement in law for there to be a written contract of employment; the contract will be in force from day 1 as regards implied terms (pay, holidays, H&S, working hours etc.)
    Full employment rights would have kicked in when she was employed for one year (this has now been increased to two years for employees starting after April 2012)
    What she should have received by law, if an employee, is a statement of employment particulars; however, as they think she is s/employed, I would guess this has never been given.

Anyway a few days ago she learnt that the school was intending to join forces with another private school in the same city. A co-ordinator ? from the other school told her that a nurse at her school was no longer required and she was out of a job, then proceeded to ask her when she would be leaving.
    You would have to find out the remit & boundaries of responsibility of this person (ie, does she have the necessary authorisation to access this kind of info. Even if she hasn't necessarily breached the DPA herself, if she shouldn't have access, the Data Controller could find themselves in hot water.
    To be honest, in the circumstances a SAR to both schools might be quite revealing.

My friend was in shock, and the coordinator went on to say you can always go back and work for xxxxx. Friend said "how do you know that I used to work for xxxxx" to which the coordinator replied that when accessing her file she came across that info.

My questions
    1. Given that my friend, along with employees of the school was asked to agree to reduced working hours does my friend, as a worker albeit on a self-employed basis have any employment rights?
    2.Secondly, what right did her school have to allow a 3rd party (the other school) to access her personal records?

Any advice appreciated
    HI CYNthesis,

Just a few ramblings!

This co-ordinator seems to be circumventing redundancy procedures, which is automatically unfair dismissal; but as it is , or could be, 'idle speculation', it might be a tough one to call.
    Your friend could always submit a grievance though - it would then have to be officially investigated.
    It might be worth a phone call to ACAS = http://www.acas.org.uk/index.aspx?articleid=1680
    Last edited by charitynjw; 20th September 2013, 23:02:PM. Reason: more thoughts
    CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
    Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
    gets his brain a-going.
    Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
    The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Thanks Charitynjw, thats very helpful, will pass this onto my friend.

As for ACAS, I suggested them as her first point of call, but when she rang them they said they couldnt help as she was self employed !

As for the DPA issues, the schools havent joined forces yet, still in the preparation stages, so dont know on what basis the 3rd party can legally access her personal file

Also my friend is approaching state retirement age in 2-3 years, so if she is entitled to redundancy pay it could be a decent amount.

Comment

Thanks Charitynjw, thats very helpful, will pass this onto my friend.

As for ACAS, I suggested them as her first point of call, but when she rang them they said they couldnt help as she was self employed !

As for the DPA issues, the schools havent joined forces yet, still in the preparation stages, so dont know on what basis the 3rd party can legally access her personal file

Also my friend is approaching state retirement age in 2-3 years, so if she is entitled to redundancy pay it could be a decent amount.
        Hi CYN

Funny things, labels (s/employed); once they're stuck on, they're a devil to shift!

I would suggest phoning ACAS back & quote the above info, stressing the supportive case law.

If possible, get behind the 1st point of contact adviser, & speak to a more knowledgeable bod; often the first person is referring to a prepared script, & doesn't have the necessary experience/training in the 'finer' points.
        The case law should chivvy them up a bit.
        CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
        Phelps, C. C.

Comment

• [*=left]
            Don't know if this is of any use
            [*=left]
            [*=left]Federation of Small Businesses (FSB) - The FSB represents the interests of the self-employed and small businesses and aims to promote and further the interests of these throughout the UK.

Comment

Cyn, just to say that I am a self employed person, and in a job where I worked, they laid down that I had to work certain days, be there at 9 in morning etc.... when they went to administration I claimed redundancy and won because I could not choose my hours, they also paid me holiday pay and bank holidays. I had to ask them when I could go on holiday so in a way they treated me like an employee. So I claimed redundancy and got it.

I checked this very point just recently, there is no boundaries for upper age limit because of my situation, so your friend if she can prove that they treated her like an employee then she will get redundancy payment it will be so much for each year she has worked. I know mine worked out to be almost a months salary payment.

I have a similar situation brewing at the moment that if the company which I work for ever go into administration then I would again go for redundancy as I have to be working 9-5:30 each day. I also won the employee of the year award 4 years ago and have a cup to prove it lol.

I am though self employed because I also have other small clients and I do my tax returns and pay taxes and NIC this way.

This is a link to HMRC site and may help your friend determine if she would come under employed or self employed status where she currently works http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/employment-status/

In your friends case I am surprised that ACAS cannot give advice.
            Last edited by TUTTSI; 21st September 2013, 08:50:AM.

Comment

Thanks Tuttsi, very helpful

Friend is required to work the same hours as the teaching staff, only difference is she doesnt get paid during school holidays. She even prepares all the care plans etc during the holidays depite not getting paid for the hols.
              If on rare occasions she is sick she is expected to telephone the school to let them know.

Im sure the childrens parents who pay an arm and a leg in fees will be up in arms to learn that the school will no longer have a nurse on site.

Comment

Thanks Tuttsi, very helpful

Friend is required to work the same hours as the teaching staff, only difference is she doesnt get paid during school holidays. She even prepares all the care plans etc during the holidays depite not getting paid for the hols.
                If on rare occasions she is sick she is expected to telephone the school to let them know.
                Which will go to the 'integration' part of the test.
                CAVEAT LECTOR

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
                Phelps, C. C.

Comment

Ive passed on all replies to my friend and suggested that she join LB, but her head is in tatters at the moment.
                  In the meantime Ive done a little digging, Ive accessed the schools website and all staff including my friend are shown by their names and occupations within the school

Comment

Well there you go, they treated her as staff as they have listed her as so on their website and bet she had to work the hours that they require her to do so. x

Ive passed on all replies to my friend and suggested that she join LB, but her head is in tatters at the moment.
                    In the meantime Ive done a little digging, Ive accessed the schools website and all staff including my friend are shown by their names and occupations within the school

Comment

Maybe a quick chat with an employment solicitor might be the way forward.

You could try this lot http://www.qualitysolicitors.com/howlettclarke

Seems they employ some dubious characters, though! http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...itigation-Team

:whistle:
                      CAVEAT LECTOR

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
                      Phelps, C. C.

Comment

Firstly ,this is a very common position your friend is in. Many HR believe that by employing someone as self employed, they do not have any rights.

ACAS were correct in they cannot help but I am surprised they did not offer any other advice. What they should have done, was to refer your friend to the HMRC website and fill in a status indicator test. This should be your starting point. Once you have the results, this will give a good indication of the status. They have 3 months to file a claim in ET but they also have the option of the County Court. In their position I would go the ET route.

Just reading what is posted, they have an excellent chance of being an employee. It may also pay to contact HMRC and report this, as they have a very big dislike to authority's and companies trying to get around the NI and Tax issues.

Finding a good employment solicitor is however, the hardest part. Ask around and look for referrals of people who have used someone they found to be good.

Your friend has to get their head around this and fast as they will be the real losers if they do nothing because their head is in tatters. Sorry to be blunt but life is not always straight forward, but theres lots of people out there who are willing to help in any way they can.

Comment

I came across this employment status calculator on HMRC website

After inputting all my friends details the summary concluded that she was an EMPLOYEE
                          http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/calcs/esi.htm

Comment

I had already come to that conclusion based on the facts, it worked for me fortunately several years ago and I am sure it will work for your friend. That's a cool calculator - with thanks to HMRC.

Now it is persuading your friend that she has a good case for fighting the reduced hours as an employee and if needs be she should seek the help of an employment professional that can help her achieve this unless she is confident that she can deal with this herself.

I came across this employment status calculator on HMRC website

After inputting all my friends details the summary concluded that she was an EMPLOYEE
                            http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/calcs/esi.htm

Comment

Thanks Tuttsi
                              Ive urged her not to take this sitting down and to seek assistance from an employment law solicitor

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                              X