• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Right to Statutory Guarantee Pay

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Right to Statutory Guarantee Pay

Hi there all. I am new to the forum so please bear with me if this is a bit rambly! I need some advice regarding an employment issue my husband is having at the moment. Basically he works for a small company and has had no work since August 27th 2013. He is not self-employed and he has an employment contract which states that he is only paid for the hours he works and some weeks there may be no work. Since August 27th his employers have contacted him twice. The first time he was expecting to go into work the following day but the phoned the night before to say not to bother. The second time they phoned was last Wednesday evening - again he was expecting to go into work the following day - to say that there was no work "for the forseeable future". Obviously since then we have investigated benefits entitlements etc as we will struggle this month to meet rent/council tax payments etc. My understanding of the situation is that he has been temporarily laid off and as such may be entitled to a Statutory Guarantee payment. His employer not told him anything about this and I'm not sure he even realises that this may be due to my husband. He had a similar situation last summer where there was no work for two weeks and no such payment was made. Since then he has been given a contract of employment that states that guarantee payment will be made in respect of days/weeks where there is no work. My question therefore is how does he go about claiming this? Apparently there will be "some" work next week, but this will probably be a couple of days and not a full 5 day week. I am a bit confused as when I rang ACAS for some advice they basically said that because his employment contract explicitly states that there will be no pay for hours not worked there wasn't a lot he could do. Am I also right in thinking that if there is a substantial variation in hours then he should be given some kind of notice and/or agree to it? As he usually works a five day week of roughly 7/8 hours a day and is now potentially looking at a reduction in hours to 2/3 days a week he should be issued with some kind of written notification to this effect. I guess they will point to the wording of the contract and say that this would be covered under their catch all clause - "we only pay you for the hours worked and you are not guaranteed work every week" but I wonder whether you could demonstrate that custom and practice is an expected 5 day week.

Sorry if this is a bit of a ramble but hope someone will be able to make some sense of the situation and perhaps offer some advice. Look forward to any replies.
    Tags: None

Re: Right to Statutory Guarantee Pay

Hi katelovescake, & welcome to Legal Beagles.

http://www.acas.org.uk/index.aspx?articleid=3886

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/427...ontracts-study

http://www.publicfinance.co.uk/news/...urs-contracts/
    CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
    Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
    gets his brain a-going.
    Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
    The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Thanks for the pointers. I hadn't really considered that he was on a zero bours contract as his employer has never ever mentioned his work in those terms. I guess thats what it is though. However, I have just gone through his contract with a fine-tooth comb and discovered that his contract does state that in the event of a shortage of work, "your pay will be reduced according to time actually worked. If you are placed on lay off, you will receive no pay other than statutory guarantee pay". Looks like they may have to pay it then. His contract makes no explicit reference to being on a zero-hours contract and if this was the case I would have thought that this should have been made clear in the contract. It refers to "shortages of work" and "temporary lay off" so to me that implies that there are expected hours of work every week. Otherwise this would not be mentioned surely?

Comment

Think you need to get advice from ACAS or Jobcentre or a Solicitor I cannot believe an employer will pay people to sit at home for long periods of time? Unless its the BBC

Comment

In which case

https://www.gov.uk/lay-offs-short-ti.../guarantee-pay
          CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
          Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
          gets his brain a-going.
          Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
          The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

I've seen that article already. I guess we now just sit tight and wait and see whether he gets the five days guarantee pay at the end of the month with his (now very small!) wage packet. Otherwise I foresee a possible grievance coming up! Secretly quite looking forward to that prospect as his boss is a bit of a tosser and pretty much thinks he can do whatever he likes.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
            See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
            X