• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Can I get out of a commitment to stay for 6 months?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I get out of a commitment to stay for 6 months?

All,

On the 4th July I signed a letter agreeing to reduced hours (32 instead of 40) for a periods of 6 weeks in order to give me two half-days per week to complete my masters degree dissertation. The agreement made no mention of salary and I have continued to recieve full salary during this period.

In return for this reduced working time the agreement I signed states:

"This time off is considered as training/career development and as such it is agreed that you will not leave the company in the six months following the completion of this agreement"

There are two more paragraphs to the agreement but they only cover the start and end date of the 6 week period (July to August 2013) and that the reduced hours will be Monday morning and Friday afternoon.

I am now considering resigning and would like to know:

Is the agreement legally binding?
    If so what repercussions do I face for breaching it?

I am looking to resign as part of a headcount reduction. The team I manage is being cut in size, to such a size that I do not believe it needs me to manage it. Therefore if they let me go then no perm staff would need to be dismmissed (my salary exceeds the sum of all the salaries of those facing dismissal).

Morally I feel I should honour the agreement, but I feel an even stronger obligation to protect the jobs of the people I recruited.

Thanks in advance.

John
    Tags: None

Re: Can I get out of a commitment to stay for 6 months?

Hi BigJ, & welcome to Legal Beagles.

So, what would happen if you didn't complete the 6 months?

If what you have written above is all you have signed up for, google 'illusory promise'.
    CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
    Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
    gets his brain a-going.
    Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
    The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Can you ask for some without prejudice negotiations, to explore options ?

Comment

That is indeed all the letter contained, but as I have been paid full salary during the reduced hours have I not either a) recieved a consideration making it no longer 'illusory' or b) an overpayment (which I should reasonably repay either by exchanging for un-used holiday or as a deduction from final salary).

Regards, John

Comment

Originally posted by BigJ View Post
          The agreement made no mention of salary and I have continued to recieve full salary during this period.
          cccc
          CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
          Phelps, C. C.

Comment

Originally posted by charitynjw View Post
            cccc
            Sorry, I don't understand?

Thanks, John

Comment

Sorry, I don't understand?

Thanks, John

I was quoting something you had posted to highlight the fact that the issue concerning the adjustment of hours & pay for same wasn't a factor in the 'promise'.

Therefore it cannot be held to be a consideration for value, which would be a necessary part of a contract; therefore, imo, no contract.

(The 'cccc' bit was only put in because there has to be a minimum of 4 characters before you can post a comment!)
              CAVEAT LECTOR

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
              Phelps, C. C.

Comment

I was quoting something you had posted to highlight the fact that the issue concerning the adjustment of hours & pay for same wasn't a factor in the 'promise'.

Therefore it cannot be held to be a consideration for value, which would be a necessary part of a contract; therefore, imo, no contract.
                I see.

(The 'cccc' bit was only put in because there has to be a minimum of 4 characters before you can post a comment!)
                I spent ages wondering what the 'cccc' stood for! I hope you'll forgive me, stress and lack of sleep is catching up on me!

Many thanks for the help.

Regards, John

Comment

[QUOTE=BigJ;371941]I see.

I spent ages wondering what the 'cccc' stood for! I hope you'll forgive me, stress and lack of sleep is catching up on me!

I've been here 13 months and didn't realise that was why some folks just put 4 letters on posts when they've replied in the multi-quote ,,makes perfect sense NOW

Comment

[QUOTE=Inca;372001]
                    I see.

I've been here 13 months and didn't realise that was why some folks just put 4 letters on posts when they've replied in the multi-quote ,,makes perfect sense NOW
                    I could've used a different 4-letter word, I guess!

CAVEAT LECTOR

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
                    Phelps, C. C.

Comment

Yesterday I re-discovered LegalBeagles and when registering found I already had an account, which brought me back to this old thread.

I'm pleased to say that this advice really helped and I did manage to have some without prejudice negotiations. The outcome of which was an agreement for me to resign and the staff that were potentially at risk of redundancy where never even aware that their jobs were under threat. Up to 2019 when I lost contact with them, they were still happily employed by the company.

As for me, the day after I finished working my notice period, the company secured some venture funding and I was asked to continue in my role which I did for several more years.

Thanks again for the advice, John

Comment

Thank you so much BigJ for coming back to this thread and providing an update. Glad to hear that our advice helped and that things have gone well for you. Best wishes.
                        If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
                        If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                        See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                        X