• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

TUPE and ETO defence help please

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TUPE and ETO defence help please

Hi.

I have a friend who has worked as a dental nurse in a practice for the past 3 years.
    A year ago ownership of the practice changed. Prior to the change she worked 4 days a week - 3 as a nurse and 1 taking a turn manning the reception/phone. This was an agreeable situation and her normal contracted hours were for the 4 days. After the change the new owners brought in a full time receptionist they already employed elsewhere. The nurse had her number of normal days reduced to 3 but now included more hours per day that the new owners have classed as overtime. The actual hours worked in total with the new owners are about the same as those worked with the old owners.

As I see it her t&c's have changed regarding her hours and days of work to her detriment as the number of normal hours has been reduced. Even although her total hours are the same there is an advantage to the new owners in having some of them classed as overtime allowing them to reduce them if necessary without penalty.
    Under TUPE this variation of contract terms is not allowed unless for ETO reasons. Does the reorganisation of the workforce by way of employing a fulltime receptionist constitute a legitimate ETO (meaning less hours of work for the nurse)
    or
    does the fact that for the past year she has been working the same hours, albeit some classed as overtime, mean that the new owners have simple changed her contract to suit themselves (by re-classifying some hours) and that no organisation of the workforce has taken place which reduces the need for labour (which, from what I gather, is one of the few organisation reasons the courts recognise).

Many thanks in advance for any replies.
    Tags: None

Re: TUPE and ETO defence help please

Hi graham123

As there was a TUPE, your friend will officially have the same contract of employment now as the one which existed immediately prior to the takeover.

ETO is usually only invoked in relation to a dismissal.

The problem now is exercising the terms of the contract; a year has gone by.

Sometimes, unfortunately, the real world impinges on the rarefied legal one.
    CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
    Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
    gets his brain a-going.
    Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
    The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Are the 'overtime' hours paid at her standard hourly rate or at an enhanced rate?

Comment

Hi charitynjw

Thanks for the reply.
        As I see it her situation could be read as one of being dismissed from her original contract and immediately re-engaged on the change over of owners, the new t&c's being to her detriment and, therefore, unfair dismissal. The outcome of which is she can revert back to her original terms. London Metropolitan University v Dr K A Sackur and Others

Comment

I do not yet know her rates of pay, however the issue I am concerned with is the possible reduction of her hours by the new owners changing her contract to reflect overtime hours that, formerly, were part of her normal hours.

Comment

http://www.bailii.org/cgi-bin/markup...method=boolean

At 21
            1. It is first necessary to consider the reason given by the Employment Tribunal. In our judgment the tribunal is at pains to show that the apparent distance in time of about 18 months - from the transfer to the warning that changes would take effect - must be seen in context. The further away a transfer is from a dismissal, the less likely it is that it will be found to be connected to it or related to it. However this is always a matter of fact and degree for an Employment Tribunal.
            CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
            Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
            gets his brain a-going.
            Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
            The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

I think that a business decision to appoint a full time receptionist could qualify as an organisational reason. So, the detriment could be in how the other staff's hours were rearranged to enable this.
              How are the 'overtime' hours treated?
              Has the new employer issued a new contract showing less conrtracted hours than before?
              Does she now receive less holiday pay than before because the overtime hours aren't included in the calculation?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
              X