• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Unfair/Constructive Dismissal, but not served 2 years

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unfair/Constructive Dismissal, but not served 2 years

Hi guys,

New to the forum, but I have got a case that I thought would be worth turning around here.

The matter of the fact is that we are a big group of people being made redundant, and the company is in most cases dealing with it in an appropriate manner with a 3 months Consultation Period subsequently followed with Notice Periods and/or enhanced terms on top of the statutory redundancy terms.

The reason behind the redundancies is that the company is moving it's operation for certain departments outside of the UK.

In my case, however, I feel the company (employing more than 15.000 employees) is not acting accordingly, due to the following reasons:

* A replacement was hired for the "new" company (but acting on behalf of my current employer) on the day of the start of Consultation.

* I have proof that the replacement has been taken contact to and is running my day to day operations with partners etc.

* The person is possessing exactly the same position as myself, but with less/no experience within the industry (proof found on LinkedIn for this)

* I have the numbers to back me up, that growth has been produced in the period of time I have been working with the company for the specific Region that I was assigned to.

However my only problem is that I was hired after the 6th April 2012 and therefore has been at the company for less than 2 years - however does that still entitle the company to treat me without reasoning?

I was in fact "poached" by my current employee, and the contract was signed before the 6th April 2012, but I guess that does not count in this case?

Looking forward for the feedback !

BigFatPotatoJoe

Tags: None

Re: Unfair/Constructive Dismissal, but not served 2 years

Hi BFPJ, & welcome to Legal Beagles.

You have to be employed for 2 years to qualify for redundancy, although it is up to the employer if they/you wish consider voluntary redundancy.

& for unfair dismissal, as your contract of employment started after 06/04/12, again you need 2 years employment.

I must say that, with such a large firm, I'm surprised no-one has told you this.

Btw, where does constructive dismissal come into this?
    CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
    Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
    gets his brain a-going.
    Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
    The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Hi Charitynjw,

Thanks for the reply !

To be honest if you saw the setup and the organisation you would not be surprised - however we are yet to have entered individual consultations, so I would most probably have been told then.

BigFatPotatoJoe

Comment

Actually if your position, itself, has not been made redundant, and if by the sounds of the replacement he/she is a direct replacement for you, then they can not make you redundant as your position is itself not redundant and they can not make you redundant and give your position to someone else - Though you will need to find out exactly what this replacements position is in the company and what their duties are precisely, and don't be afraid to ask questions as if they act unfairly i.e. bully, intimidate, abusively towards you for asking then they are digging a bigger hole for themselves.

Contrary to what charity said, the 2 year qualifying period is not relevant to cases of Automatic Unfair Dismissal as no qualifying period is need for such cases where it is deemed Automatic Unfair Dismissal, which is not the same as Unfair Dismissal!

Take a look at Section 105 of the Employment Rights Act 1996
        Please note that this advice is given informally, without liability and without prejudice. Always seek the advice of an insured qualified professional. All my legal and nonlegal knowledge comes from either here (LB),my own personal research and experience and/or as the result of necessity as an Employer and Businessman.

By using my advice in any form, you agreed to waive all rights to hold myself or any persons representing myself of any liability.

If you PM me, make sure to include a link to your thread as I don't give out advice in private. All PMs that are sent in missuse (including but not limited to phishing, spam) of the PM application and/or PMs that are threatening or abusive will be reported to the Site Team and if necessary to the police and/or relevant Authority.

I AM SO GOING TO GET BANNED BY CEL FOR POSTING terrible humour POSTS.

The Governess; 6th March 2012 GRRRRRR

Comment

Originally posted by bigfatpotatojoe View Post
          In my case, however, I feel the company (employing more than 15.000 employees) is not acting accordingly, due to the following reasons:

* A replacement was hired for the "new" company (but acting on behalf of my current employer) on the day of the start of Consultation.
          Is this a situation where part of the company's activities (for example, certain departments) are being outsourced to another company who, in turn, uses overseas services?

Originally posted by bigfatpotatojoe View Post
          However my only problem is that I was hired after the 6th April 2012 and therefore has been at the company for less than 2 years - however does that still entitle the company to treat me without reasoning?

I was in fact "poached" by my current employee, and the contract was signed before the 6th April 2012, but I guess that does not count in this case?
          Can you explain this? What do you mean by 'poached by your current employee'?

You also mention Constructive Dismissal, that refers to a situation where the employee is virtually 'forced' to resign due to the employers conduct, as noted here: http://www.lzwlaw.co.uk/documents/employment_law_cd.htm

From the information you have provided, it's not clear how constructive dismissal could relate to your situation, but be warned that such cases have a very low success rate, a mere 3%. :frown

Comment

Originally posted by FlamingParrot View Post
            Is this a situation where part of the company's activities (for example, certain departments) are being outsourced to another company who, in turn, uses overseas services?

Can you explain this? What do you mean by 'poached by your current employee'?

You also mention Constructive Dismissal, that refers to a situation where the employee is virtually 'forced' to resign due to the employers conduct, as noted here: http://www.lzwlaw.co.uk/documents/employment_law_cd.htm

From the information you have provided, it's not clear how constructive dismissal could relate to your situation, but be warned that such cases have a very low success rate, a mere 3%. :frown
            Ahh i missed the following bit: "I was in fact "poached" by my current employee, and the contract was signed before the 6th April 2012, but I guess that does not count in this case?"

Ohh it does.... as a contract of employment starts from the date the job offer was agreed whether verbally or in writing. So if the contract was signed before the 6th April 2012 then your in the clear and would only need 1 years employment from date you signed the contract. its best to go by the date the contract was signed, though did the contract state a start date in it? As that might changes things a bit.

If you can answer FlamingParrots question about the replacement and the outsourcing and if the replacement works for the company the work is being outsourced too, or if he works for same company as you, then that would be useful info!
            Please note that this advice is given informally, without liability and without prejudice. Always seek the advice of an insured qualified professional. All my legal and nonlegal knowledge comes from either here (LB),my own personal research and experience and/or as the result of necessity as an Employer and Businessman.

By using my advice in any form, you agreed to waive all rights to hold myself or any persons representing myself of any liability.

If you PM me, make sure to include a link to your thread as I don't give out advice in private. All PMs that are sent in missuse (including but not limited to phishing, spam) of the PM application and/or PMs that are threatening or abusive will be reported to the Site Team and if necessary to the police and/or relevant Authority.

I AM SO GOING TO GET BANNED BY CEL FOR POSTING terrible humour POSTS.

The Governess; 6th March 2012 GRRRRRR

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
            See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
            X