• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Breaches of DPA letter enclosed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breaches of DPA letter enclosed

Hi all.

I have a letter here which is being sent to the company in question over clear breaches of the data protection act with regards to distributing my medical report within the company without my consent. I know it's a little hard to read with the XXX's but please have a look with regards to any amendments, issues that you think would help.

Many thanks for your time, good luck with all and God bless

Brighton

To XXX

I am writing to make a formal complaint against XXX. My complaint is that XXX has:

• Breached the data protection act 1998
    • Disclosed sensitive information without my consent
    • Gone against my express wishes

Information, submitted by XXX, during Tribunal proceedings, exposes how my very sensitive information, which details my mental health and my family’s personal circumstances was handled in a less then sensitive or fair capacity by XX XX staff.

In an e-mail from XX to XX, dated and timed XX (attached), it is quite clear that my personal medical reports have been distributed within the company without my consent.

"he was very keen for the report to only go to XX and not to be seen by other people. Therefore I wouldn't refer to it in the meeting as such."

I expressly stated I wanted the report to go to XX (HR manager), and XXonly. XX have breached the law and gone against my wishes, many people within your organisation have seen this report, including the most junior secretary.

It is clear that I spoke to XX on the XX 2010 for XX minutes. She rang me on her mobile, therefore the phone call was unofficial and XX seems to have no records of this conversation. During this conversation I had the opportunity to disclose for the first time personal information to XX

While speaking to XX, she had the capacity to form an opinion that I, ‘should not have been at work for the last six months.’ However she lacked the insight to:

a) Decide upon whether a formal risk assessment was required
    b) Decide upon how the medical reports, which she persuaded me to sign, would be used fairly and in a transparently.

Obviously sensitive information was being passed over from my GP’s Surgery and I wanted to be assured that the information was being kept confidential. I was never informed how the information was being used or who it was distributed to.

I did not sign the medical consent form because in the first instance I did not want my confidential medical information passed freely around the company. This was confidential information and I did not want it to be abused. Which is exactly what happened.

After speaking with XX, she informed me that she could only help me in my distress if I agreed to sign the medical consent form. I stated I only wanted the doctor’s report to go to her and her only.

Therefore had XX been open and honest about how XX intended to use my data, i.e. XX would freely distribute my information around the company without my consent then I would have not signed my medical consent.

I think it is unfair that XX used XX as a ‘go-between’ myself and the company collating information, later to be used against me. Especially, the fact that XX pretended to know nothing about my circumstances when she had clearly seen my medical report and she was well informed in advance. This is neither fair nor transparent use of sensitive information.

I will be seeking legal advice. Before taking this further and incurring further time and court costs for both parties, not to mention further damage to XXXX’s reputation as a company, in accordance with the procedure suggested by the ICO I am hereby giving you an opportunity to resolve this situation.

I look forwards to hearing from you within the next 14 days and I await with interest your comments on this matter.

Sincerely

xxx
    Tags: None

Re: Breaches of DPA letter enclosed

Looks good to me. But what evidence have you that what you alleged is in fact the case?

Off course am not doubting anything you claim, as this does happen far to often. But you need to make sure you have solid evidence to back up what you claim. Have you witness statements or any kind of documented evidence showing that your records were passed about from person to person?

You need to consider what evidence you have and tread carefully, especially as it sounds like your already invovled in tribunal actoin.
    Please note that this advice is given informally, without liability and without prejudice. Always seek the advice of an insured qualified professional. All my legal and nonlegal knowledge comes from either here (LB),my own personal research and experience and/or as the result of necessity as an Employer and Businessman.

By using my advice in any form, you agreed to waive all rights to hold myself or any persons representing myself of any liability.

If you PM me, make sure to include a link to your thread as I don't give out advice in private. All PMs that are sent in missuse (including but not limited to phishing, spam) of the PM application and/or PMs that are threatening or abusive will be reported to the Site Team and if necessary to the police and/or relevant Authority.

I AM SO GOING TO GET BANNED BY CEL FOR POSTING terrible humour POSTS.

The Governess; 6th March 2012 GRRRRRR

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
    See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
    X