• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Unfair treatment whilst pregnant at work...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unfair treatment whilst pregnant at work...

Hi there,

I wonder if i could get some advice...

I have been working full-time for a small PLC company in Hertfordshire for 2 years, I announced my pregnancy in March 2012 and I plan to start my maternity leave in September 2012.

After announcing my news in March the annual salary reviews were held in April and unfortunately I was told I was not eligible for a 3% increase as I'd had a performance related pay increase within the last 12 months. When I was given the rise in October 2011 it was not communicated in the letter that this would 'exclude' me from any forthcoming annual salary increases and I have since found out that other colleagues who also received a performance related increase were given the 3% and also a new starter (male) that was on probation at the time (who has now left the company) was also given the 3% rise.

Since then there has also been an incident were the company are advertising my maternity cover role as a permanent full-time position at an extra £2,000.00 per year more than what they are currently paying me. Are they allowed to do this.

My role is extremely difficult and it is no secret that I am being underpaid, I currently coordinate and administer a team of 13 field sales people, it was 6 when I started two years ago... Whilst I initially enjoyed the job and had a lot of time for the company I am beginning to feel quite unappreciated and isolated away from the team and I feel like the company are trying to get rid of me or at least make it impossible for me to ever come back after maternity leave.

Please can I have some advice? Am I just being silly or is this discrimination?

Thanks x
    Tags: None

Re: Unfair treatment whilst pregnant at work...

have you got a copy of the advert saying your position is being advertised as a permanant full time position

can you confirm the pay issue on the other collegues, is their any mention in your contract of employment on pay awards, performance pay, annual reviews etc

as you are prob no doubt aware, while on maternity you enter a period of protected characteristics

after your maternity leave has finished, you move back into the same position as you left unless the job role is being made redundant. redundancy procedures then have to follow.

as they have advertised your post as a permanant position, your protected characteristics have been breached.

the pay issue needs official confirmantion as well

you need to do a letter to your company HR and request clarification, if they decline a grievance would then need to be submitted

on what you say so far the employer is guilty of discrimination under the equalities act 2010 and of unlawful deduction of wages on the pay review and both will be subject to an employment tribunal

Comment

Hi thanks for the reply,

Yes I have copies of the advert - when I approached my line manager yesterday about it I noticed it was amended minutes later - but I have already taken some screen shots.

I can also get verification in relation to the other colleagues getting the annual salary increase if necessary, they are now ex-employees.
      I have already approached HR and written to my CEO regarding the exclusion from the salary increases - they wasn't very helpful and I just issued another letter stating that I wasn't entitled due to a performance related increase in the last 12 months. They also failed to address my concerns as to whether or not the exclusion criteria had been applied fairly across the board.

I am not sure of my next steps. There is something in my contract regarding annual salary increases being 'discretionary' I think, I would need to check - there is certainly no mention of anything in the employee handbook.

I was thinking of visiting citizens advice - would that be a good place to start?

Comment

weel i think they are trying to fobb you off

you have been nice , now make it formal by a grievance which they have to acknowledge and deal with

it was amended minutes later

that says the contempt they are treating you with just because you mentioned you were pregnant and now a liability

get that grievance in on the job advert and why your collegues also got the pay increase and not you, keep your post updated

that advert is proof of discrimination and they will have a job trying to sweep that under the carpet
        Last edited by miliitant; 5th July 2012, 10:21:AM.

Comment

Thank you for your help, I will keep you updated

Comment

Is the company allowed to make deductions from her pay for the extra error checking needed by her pregnancy? :behindsofa:

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
            See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
            X