• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Changes to agreed flexible working?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changes to agreed flexible working?

Hi,

I hope someone can help with my query - my wife returned to work 12 months ago after having a child. On returniong to work she agreed a flexible working pattern with her employer as follows (My wife is a retail employee):

Sat - Any shift
    Sun - 08:00-13:30
    Mon - Any shift

Total = 20 hrs

The reason for these hours is that i myself work mon-fri and we can get childcare on the monday through familiy, meaning that we do not have to pay for any childcare. The sunday shift was specified so that we get half a day together as a family. All of the above was specified and agreed with a manager who stated the need to review in 12 months (which is now!).

Today my wife has gone into work to be told by a supervisor that she can no longer work the specified shift on a sunday as it is now company policy that a keyholder must work this shift, and as she is not a keyholder her shift will need to change. There has never been an issue/problem that we can see that could have prompted this change in procedure.

I feel that there may be more to this story than is being let on as my wife has heard from colleagues that her new line manager has stated that he see's part-time employees as "pointless" - and just to clarify - my wife performs far better than her ful-time equivalents, which is shown through their results. Since returning to work my wife has had to work a far higher ratio of late shifts that ne full-time equivalents and has been denied holiday on a sunday for a full year (I think she has requested around 4 or 5 sundays off). Throughout all of this she has not complained but we both now feel that enough is enough - we cannot allow them to take the measely half day we get together. If there is anyone who can give advise on this subject, you help would be greatly appreciated.
    Tags: None

Re: Changes to agreed flexible working?

Hi Topboy

Is there a key holder working sundays with your wife before this was brought up. Am assuming your wife is not a key holder and therefore someone with a key would have been present on the same shift on sundays?

They can not change her hours without her consent either - Though this will depend on whether the 12 month review was stipulated in the contract or not, either way any changes to her hours would have to be mutaully agreed as her hours are a core part of the employment contract and can not be changed at a drop of a hat whenever it suites the employer.

Heres a link which gives you information regarding the law on flexible working time and best practice - http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/static/html/layer-4.html

Its worth pointing out that their may be grounds for discrimination, especially if your wife can get witness statements from the other staff members that told her about what the managers views are regarding part time workers - As such views are discriminatory! There is nothing preventing them giving your wife a key either.
    Please note that this advice is given informally, without liability and without prejudice. Always seek the advice of an insured qualified professional. All my legal and nonlegal knowledge comes from either here (LB),my own personal research and experience and/or as the result of necessity as an Employer and Businessman.

By using my advice in any form, you agreed to waive all rights to hold myself or any persons representing myself of any liability.

If you PM me, make sure to include a link to your thread as I don't give out advice in private. All PMs that are sent in missuse (including but not limited to phishing, spam) of the PM application and/or PMs that are threatening or abusive will be reported to the Site Team and if necessary to the police and/or relevant Authority.

I AM SO GOING TO GET BANNED BY CEL FOR POSTING terrible humour POSTS.

The Governess; 6th March 2012 GRRRRRR

Comment

Hi Teaboy,

Thanks for the advice. With regards to the keyholder issue, my wife has never been a keyholder, and has always been able to work this shift previously. 90% of the time there will have been an overnight team working so the store will not be locked up. Prior to this my wife always took a store key home with her after saturdays shift. The keyholders receive no extra training and there is no significant business reason for my wife to not do this shift. In her meeting where her flexible hours were discussed she was told that there would be a review after 12 months, but as far as she is aware this has not happened - all she has had is a supervisor tell her in passing that her shift had changed!

With regards to the discriminatory statement made by her line manager it is very doubtfull that colleagues would be willing to go on record stating this for fear of them becoming a target for the manager. I will take a look at the website you have provided.

Many thanks

Comment

In that case the employer has not reasonable reason to end her sunday shift. And she should put in a formal grievance over it as changing her shift without a reasonable business reason, which considering your wife took key home with her on saturday nights for sunday and the fact a night shift was still there, would likely amount to indirect sexual discrimination (due to women havingf more childcare duties), as a change in flexiable working hours would no doubt have a negative effect on her family live and be to her and your families deterimental.

Heres a link regarding indirect sexual discrimination and flexible working hours - http://www.workingfamilies.org.uk/articles/parents-and-carers/flexible-working/indirect-sex-discrimination-and-flexible-working

Basically the reason the manager give is not good enough reason to refuse your wife the hours she has been working on a sunday and as such the manager is in dangerous waters! So tell your wife to write a grievance explaining their was never a porblem with her working sundays before or her taking the key home on saturday, which therefore made her a key holder on sundays, and as such the reason her not being a keyholder is not a reasonable business decision to deny her the flexible working hours that she has been working for xx amount of months. As such, said decision amounts to indirect sexual discrimination as the suggested change in hours would have a deterimental effect on her and her family by putting her at a disadvantage e.g. less hours and less pay if not extra hours (or result in difficulty or extra cost, arranging child care during the new hours she is being asked to work). Also as they failed to hold a 12 month review as intially stated they would, then they are now estopped under the laws of estoppel from holding that review and changing her hours without reasonable business reason - Extra costs etc are not reasonable business reasons, neither is the whether the employee is a key holder or not.
        Last edited by teaboy2; 20th May 2012, 19:25:PM.
        Please note that this advice is given informally, without liability and without prejudice. Always seek the advice of an insured qualified professional. All my legal and nonlegal knowledge comes from either here (LB),my own personal research and experience and/or as the result of necessity as an Employer and Businessman.

By using my advice in any form, you agreed to waive all rights to hold myself or any persons representing myself of any liability.

If you PM me, make sure to include a link to your thread as I don't give out advice in private. All PMs that are sent in missuse (including but not limited to phishing, spam) of the PM application and/or PMs that are threatening or abusive will be reported to the Site Team and if necessary to the police and/or relevant Authority.

I AM SO GOING TO GET BANNED BY CEL FOR POSTING terrible humour POSTS.

The Governess; 6th March 2012 GRRRRRR

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
        See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
        X