• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Missing money at work, replaced myself so I can keep job

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Missing money at work, replaced myself so I can keep job

Okay here we go

I work in a retail shop and when our tills reach a certain value, we have to declare the money in a plastic pod and secure away. Yesterday I declared £300 from my till but due to certain things, I forgot to secure it in the safe.

When I went to the safe today to count the money, that particular pod was in the safe, but was empty. So I checked CCTV and saw a lady who found where I had left it and then seemed to touch it. But as I was worried I would get in trouble for leaving it unsecure, I replaced it.
    I called my manager as I knew I was silly doing that, and told her everything. We checked the CCTV and can not see clearly that the lady did anything with this pod. She spoke to the lady who denied it. Now they are suspecting me and she is investigating more. She couldn't see anything clearly on the CCTV.

I am worried they think I took it, even though I didn't and there is no CCTV and no proof.
    would they see the replacing it as a admission I did it? Surely if I had taken it and THEN replaced it before anyone could see it was missing, WHY would I call her and tell her I found it missing in the first place. Besides, the CCTV shows me opening the pod today and NOT finding the money.
    Even the manager said I was silly to replace it. But I am worried now.

I am on a first written warning, if they think I did it, can they go to dismissal or straight to final?
    ------------------------------- merged -------------------------------
    I didn't take it, in case people are wondering. The CCTV shows me clearly putting it inside the pod and accidently leaving the pod on the side, and then later this lady touching the pod and moving it to somewhere else as it is lost from CCTV view.
    Last edited by Kittycat; 1st December 2011, 20:31:PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Tags: None

Re: Missing money at work, replaced myself so I can keep job

Hi Kittycat,

How long have you been working for your employer, & are you in a Union?

(Just standard initial questions, but they do affect the situation)
    CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
    Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
    gets his brain a-going.
    Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
    The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Hi,

I have been there 20 months and no I am not in a union

Comment

Originally posted by Kittycat View Post
        Hi,

I have been there 20 months and no I am not in a union
        I think that regardless of the money going missing and you replacing it(I would not have done that) then leaving the pod insecure is probably the thing that they will get you on. I highly doubt they can do you for stealing considering there is no loss to the company.
        "Family means that no one gets forgotten or left behind"
        (quote from David Ogden Stiers)

Comment

Hi Kittycat,

20 months is good - it means that you have the necessary length of service required for statutory cover via the Employment Rights Act.

I would imagine that, as you have (in my opinion, quite rightly), brought a serious incident to your employer's attention, they feel that it is necessary to undertake further investigation - that would be quite reasonable.

& an investigation does not automatically lead to any disciplinary measures being taken.

May I ask, what makes you think they suspect you (re the theft)?
          & are they happy to allow you to continue handling money?
          Last edited by charitynjw; 2nd December 2011, 10:01:AM.
          CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
          Phelps, C. C.

Comment

I won't get to do banking again for a few days as thats my shift patterns, but they fully expect me back at work today.
            I am a worrier by nature and after they spoke to the lady we thought it was, they then spent more time watching the CCTV and I heard my manager on the phone to an area manager. She was concerened that she couldn't see anyone put that pod in the safe. As I was the person to pull the pods from the safe ready to check all money, maybe she thinks I replaced the pod then.

But why would I steal it, replace it, then tell her.
            I am a serious serioius worrier as I do love my job.
            She is getting another opinion today.
            The CCTV does show me putting it in the pod ready to secure, so that is clear. It also shows me getting the pods out yesterday, ready to check and also shows me looking for the money when I realise the pod was empty.
            They need absolute proof right? Of either me or another physically taken the money, or if on mine or someone elses person.
            I will get in trouble for it not being secure, I expect that. I just go to worst case senario first.

Comment

Originally posted by leclerc View Post
              I think that regardless of the money going missing and you replacing it(I would not have done that) then leaving the pod insecure is probably the thing that they will get you on. I highly doubt they can do you for stealing considering there is no loss to the company.

I replaced it as I was in such a state I knew I would get in trouble either way. She didn't seem concerned that I replaced it and said it was silly. But again if I was the thief, I would have left it be and then tell her it was missing. Why replace it, then tell her it was missing.

Comment

I replaced it as I was in such a state I knew I would get in trouble either way. She didn't seem concerned that I replaced it and said it was silly. But again if I was the thief, I would have left it be and then tell her it was missing. Why replace it, then tell her it was missing.
                Short term monetary needs. I guess the question could be, why would you put your own money into a pod if you did not take it in the first place?
                The CCTV footage is good that it does show that you put money in, looked for it but as I said they may say that leaving the pod insecure might be worse that replacing the money.

The first warning you had, was it anything related to the safety of the cash?

Comment

I will get in trouble for it not being secure, I expect that. I just go to worst case senario first.
                  At least you don't work in Saudi Arabia, where they'd chop off a hand.

Comment

Originally posted by leclerc View Post

The first warning you had, was it anything related to the safety of the cash?

Worried. Disciplinary for missing money - Legal Beagles Consumer Forum
                    "Although scalar fields are Lorentz scalars, they may transform nontrivially under other symmetries, such as flavour or isospin. For example, the pion is invariant under the restricted Lorentz group, but is an isospin triplet (meaning it transforms like a three component vector under the SU(2) isospin symmetry). Furthermore, it picks up a negative phase under parity inversion, so it transforms nontrivially under the full Lorentz group; such particles are called pseudoscalar rather than scalar. Most mesons are pseudoscalar particles." (finally explained to a captivated Celestine by Professor Brian Cox on Wednesday 27th June 2012 )

I am proud to have co-founded LegalBeagles in 2007

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

If you wish to book an appointment with me to discuss your credit agreement, please email kate@legalbeaglesgroup. com

Comment

So, in Saudi Arabia, she could lose both hands?

Comment

We didn't get the update to that thread and how the result was which we now know the answer to. Why did they issue you with a warning the last time?

Comment

The first warning I had was related to safety of money, I was working with this lady in question as well when £40 went missing from the safe. I got in trouble and recieved the warning but part of it was also because I didn't inform my manager instantly that it was missing.

Well yesterday at work, my manager was talking with another manager and it went on for hours and hours. I finally got called in and it was a nice polite chat, informal. They told me to de-stress and to relax, to try not to worry and to try and remember what went on so when the time came and the questions were asked, I would be clear.

I am meeting them tomorrow for the offical interview. They have also spoken to the other lady offically and she was still at work today. I hope this is the case for me.
                          CCTV does support me, but also doesn't show who really done it. If that was the case then that culprit would have been fired by now.
                          My manager once again was nice and said to relax and try not to worry. I am more worried that someone who is due on holiday this week told me yesterday "he may not be......but its nothing to worry about"
                          Was he jumping to conclusions, would he really let slip to me he would be in if he knew I may get suspended. He was the person I first spoke to about it. I guess in 12 hours I will know for sure what the verdict is.

Comment

Best of luck Kitty. Let us know how you get on xx
                            "Although scalar fields are Lorentz scalars, they may transform nontrivially under other symmetries, such as flavour or isospin. For example, the pion is invariant under the restricted Lorentz group, but is an isospin triplet (meaning it transforms like a three component vector under the SU(2) isospin symmetry). Furthermore, it picks up a negative phase under parity inversion, so it transforms nontrivially under the full Lorentz group; such particles are called pseudoscalar rather than scalar. Most mesons are pseudoscalar particles." (finally explained to a captivated Celestine by Professor Brian Cox on Wednesday 27th June 2012 )

I am proud to have co-founded LegalBeagles in 2007

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

If you wish to book an appointment with me to discuss your credit agreement, please email kate@legalbeaglesgroup. com

Comment

& don't forget that you have a right to be accompanied if the 'official interview' enters into disciplinary territory.

Hope all goes well!
                              CAVEAT LECTOR

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
                              Phelps, C. C.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                              X