• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Employment Tribunal - Redundany Payment

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Employment Tribunal - Redundany Payment

Hi, looking for some advice/answers hopefully someone here can help.

If a claim for a redundancy payment is made to a tribunal and is successful, can the tribunal award an amount contained in the contract or only the statutory amount?

If they can award the amount contained in the contract would the claim need to have been made within 3 months as opposed to 6 months?

Thanks in advance.
    Tags: None

Re: Employment Tribunal - Redundany Payment

Not really enough info, but generally redundancy is covered by the Employment Rights Act 1996, particularly ss 210-219.
    Have you considered an ACAS conciliation?
    CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
    Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
    gets his brain a-going.
    Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
    The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Hi and welcome

As charitynjw says, but are you also in the works union that may also be of some help to you?

Comment

Hi, no I wasn't in the union.

The actual situation is bit tricky it seems, maybe you can shed some light if I explain further.

I was initially employed on a fixed term contract for 1 year, this was extended a couple of times to a total of 2 years 3 months. I then did an additional 6 month contract so a total of 2 years 9 months continuous employment.

I believe I should be entitled to a redundancy payment however the final 6 month contract was used as cover for someone on a career break, they are saying as this person returned to the position it is not a redundancy situation and I was dismissed for some other substantial reason.

I spoke with CAB some time ago and they thought I had a case so I lodged an employment tribunal. I was told the time limit for this was 6 months, due to the time it took in trying to sort the matter out directly with the employer my tribunal form went in after more than 3 months. I wasn't aware of doing so but apparently my form made 2 claims, one for less favorable treatment and one for redundancy payment. There was a pre hearing review where the less favorable treatment claim was disallowed due to time limits.

I have been contacted by ACAS and the employer has made an offer to settle, however the amount offered is substantially less than what I believe I am entitled to in the contract (namely 2 months salary rather than the statutory amount of 2 weeks).

So if the tribunal can only award the statutory amount I may take the offer to save the hassle, however if they can award the full amount as per the contract then I may refuse the offer.

Hope that makes sense.

Comment

The Tribunal are not limited by any statutory amount (at least up to a maximum of Ł66,200) and can award more than two weeks wages, the idea being to compensate you for what you have lost by reason of the unlawful conduct that forms the basis for your claim.

Since your employment was terminated, your main argument here is about lost earings. In this case however, you will be under a duty to mitigate your loss. This means that you will be expected to go and get another job. Just because you have been dismissed (however unfairly) you cannot rely on a large payout from your ex-employer, therefore the sums you can claim will be limited to what your contact of employment stated regarding your notice period.

Comment

Hi, all I'm seeking is the 2 months pay that I believe I'm contractually entitled to, nothing more.

The sticking point is that the employer says its not a redundancy situation.

The reason I was asking about whether the tribunal can award only the statutory amount or more is that the person from ACAS told me he wasn't sure if to get the contract amount would need some sort of breach of contract claim, which I didn't make.

Comment

What sort of claim did you make?

Comment

A claim for a redundancy payment.

Comment

Any more thoughts on where I stand with this case?

Comment

You have already answered your own question. Since one of the grounds for your claim has already been disallowed and it transpires that you were not made redundant, it would appear that you have very little to go on.

Comment

So 2 years 3 months fixed term contracts + 6 month fixed term contract covering someone = not redundant?

Working for them for an extra 6 moths means I lose my entitlement?

Comment

Hi Bigi,
                        When was the PHR?
                        CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
                        Phelps, C. C.

Comment

Some time ago now, before christmas, why?

Comment

You can, in certain circumstances, ask for a review (within 14 days of the PHR hearing judgment).
                            You can also appeal a decision to the EAT, but that must be within 42 days.
                            Is the case going to be heard on the remaining issue?
                            CAVEAT LECTOR

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
                            Phelps, C. C.

Comment

Yes as the time limit was 6 months. Thats the reason for my original question as to whether a claim for redundancy payment is only for the statutory amount or not.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                              X