• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Company Car Benefit

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Company Car Benefit

Hi,

I appreciate this may seem trivial but a question I was hoping may be answered nonetheless.

I have a list of options for a new company car and it is exclusively weighted towards electric vehicles. The range of fossil fuel burning vehicles varies in cost between £22k-£32k, and the electric options vary in cost between £35k-£55k. With this discrepancy in cost comes quality, prestige etc…

Due to conditions at my current address, I have no feasible way of charging an electric vehicle at home. If I were to take an electric vehicle, I would only have the option of public charging. This would cost more per mile than my company is prepared to remunerate.

The company’s remuneration scheme is reasonably generous. Someone who can charge exclusively at home can actually make money.

The list of vehicles available is not specific to me and anyone in my salary band has exactly the same choices. It feels like I’m being pushed towards a ‘lesser’ benefit than my contemporaries purely due to my living arrangements.

Is there discrimination in level of benefit being offered?

I have two options as I see it - Either pay out of my own pocket for business mileage in an electric vehicle or take a diesel car worth considerably less.

Thank you in advance for any constructive answers/advice.
    Tags: None

Hi
    Welcome to LB
    You have not mentioned the most important cost factor - BiK
    Electric cars presently have a BiK rating of 2%, increasing by 1% a year to 5%
    Petrol and diesel cars can have a BiK rating up to 37% depending on CO2 emissions
    You should factor in Bik to your calculations. You will probably find there is a big financial saving to have an electric company car as opposed to a petrol or diesel one.
    At the end of the day your decision should be based on the availability of public charging, and if you decide on an electric car, choose one with fast charging capability

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
    See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
    X