• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Greivance Meeting

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greivance Meeting

I was invited to a formal investigation meeting as a Grievance was raised by more than two people in different EU jurisdictions about my behaviour. Suffice to say it came as a complete shock but then relalised it's politics a play. I've requested on two seperate occassions to see the grievenace or, at least the general gist so I can prepare my defence. Both times denied. ACAS are a not very clear on this but aim to speak to a lawyer Monday. Any definitive rules on seeing the nature of the complaint before the meeting ?
    Tags: None

Hello, at the moment they would only have to tell you what the general allegation is, for example, bullying & harassment, conduct likely to offend etc. You wouldn't be able to see the actual grievance material unless they decide to move to a disciplinary meeting after the grievance meeting. If they haven't told you what the general allegations are I'd email them explaining this makes the process unfair as it limits your ability to answer any questions correctly.

Comment

Thank you, I've emailed twice already and politely refused. I can email a third on the basis you refer to or, proceed without thus perhaps leaving the door open to claim the process was flawed/unfair at the outset ?

Comment

First, I'd ask for a copy of your employers grievance policy, to see what it says if you haven't already been given it. Then, consider sending an email that explains that by not telling you the nature of the allegations, you believe that you will be put at a disadvantage by not being able to prepare yourself and this will make the process unfair. But make sure you cooperate as best as you can, you do not want to appear to be behaving unreasonably.

Sending emails now will start a paper trail of evidence for yourself that may come in useful later. I hope you find this helpful.

Comment

Third request for the “general” nature of the complaint has once again been refused on the basis it will be discussed at the meeting. Also made the point that having just returned to work following a 4 week absence at GP’s insistence for work related stress, burnout and acute anxiety the lack of clarity was exacerbating these symptoms.

Comment

I'm very sorry to hear this has added to your ill health. Anxiety and stress are not nice to live with.

I've cut and paste a template of a letter to send to an employee when investigating a formal grievance investigation meeting. This template is from the ACAS website. Notice there is a line stating 'detail what the investigation is looking in to' in brackets. If this is not included in their letter then I would consider the process to be unfair.

But as you have asked them three times already I, personally, wouldn't go back to them with this. The investigation is theirs to get right or wrong, you concentrate on getting your bit right and let them know they've made the mistake afterwards. Once it's done it can't be undone.

Date ………………..

Dear…………………..
            My name is [name of investigator]. I am currently in the process of conducting an investigation into [detail what the investigation is looking in to].
            I am writing to invite you to attend an investigation meeting on [date of the meeting] at [time of the meeting] at [location of the meeting] so that I may discuss the matter with you.
            In attendance at the meeting will be myself and [name of note-taker], who will be present to take notes. Please bring with you any information that you think might be useful to the investigation.
            If you wish, you may be accompanied by a trade union representative or a colleague. However, your companion will not be able to answer questions on your behalf.*
            To ensure that the investigation can be conducted as fairly as possible we request that you keep the matter, and anything discussed at the investigation meeting, confidential. Any breach of confidentiality may be considered to be a disciplinary matter.
            If you are unable to attend the meeting please contact [name of investigator, manager, HR department] as soon as possible, so that alternative arrangements can be made.

Yours sincerely

Signed ..................................................

*While accompaniment at an investigation meeting is not a statutory right, it can be good practice and may be required if provided for in company policy or because of specific needs of the person attending the meeting. Read the Acas guide on Conducting Workplace Investigations for more detail.

Comment

Many thanks - I know hand on heart this is just transatlantic politics (I report to the US) and some EU managers are resistant to change and I have a mountain of evidence for every eventtuality spanning over a year and have compiled a strong case for upward & horizontal bullying.& mobbing. With US HR dealing I'm sure this wont be the only flaw in thier process.

Comment

Originally posted by Retromau5 View Post
                First, I'd ask for a copy of your employers grievance policy, to see what it says if you haven't already been given it. Then, consider sending an email that explains that by not telling you the nature of the allegations, you believe that you will be put at a disadvantage by not being able to prepare yourself and this will make the process unfair. But make sure you cooperate as best as you can, you do not want to appear to be behaving unreasonably.

Sending emails now will start a paper trail of evidence for yourself that may come in useful later. I hope you find this helpful.
                looking at now - tt bare bones and makes no reference to how the "alleged perpitrator" is notfied.

Comment

Originally posted by Shez123 View Post

looking at now - tt bare bones and makes no reference to how the "alleged perpitrator" is notfied.
                  Now I'm diagnosed with acute anxiety burnout.......etc I'll adjourn the meeting have way through proceedings to be reconvenued after the weekend giving me two/4 extra days to prepare further and have all docs and my wittness ststaments completed.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                  See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                  X