• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Relocation query

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Relocation query

I have to be a little vague with this, so apologies in advance.

I have worked for a company for about 5 years. There was a major restructure involving creation of new companies and dissolution of old. I was TUPE'd to one of the new compnies.All okay so far. Now I have been told that I must accept another TUPE to another of the new companies. All my T&C's will remain except that I now have to travel to a new location, 25 miles away, involving a 45 minutes at absolute best. probably 75 minutes or more at the peak time I will be travelling. I currently hve 5 minute commute if I go into the office, but mainly work from home. There is no "mobility clause" in my contract. I absolutely do not want to comply.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.
    Tags: None

Are you actually being TUPE'd in that you are moving to a new legal entity as your employer?
    If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do not provide advice by PM although I may on occasion ask you to send me documents this way but any related advice will be provided back on your thread.

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
    If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

Yes.I was TUPE’d into a new company, now they want to TUPE me into another, some distance away. As far as I am concerned, for various reasons, a 25 Mile, 55 minute commute is not reasonable - considering that I am on about the “Living wage”

Comment

Have you spoken to your current company about your circumstances and asked if there is any opportunity for you not to transfer?
        If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do not provide advice by PM although I may on occasion ask you to send me documents this way but any related advice will be provided back on your thread.

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

Yes, of course. They are insistent that the distance is @reasonsnle”.

Comment

At least you have done what would always be my initial advice and had the discussion with your employer about your change of location under the proposed TUPE.

Unfortunately from a legal perspective this would come down to whether the change of location was considered a substantial change in working conditions to your detriment under TUPE, in the event of a claim being made. Less helpfully there is case law that indicates an addition of between 30 minutes and 60 minutes travelling per day was not, in the opinion of the employment tribunal, substantial, or to the material detriment of the employees. However in another case where a new place of work was only a few miles away, the change in location would disrupt the childcare arrangements and result in a longer journey to work of the individual and they were allowed to pursue a claim.

There is therefore no definitive answer to provide on this for you.

Comment

Originally posted by ULA View Post
              At least you have done what would always be my initial advice and had the discussion with your employer about your change of location under the proposed TUPE.

However in another case where a new place of work was only a few miles away, the change in location would disrupt the childcare arrangements and result in a longer journey to work of the individual and they were allowed to pursue a claim.

Thankyou hfor yiur response. I am having to be a little vague, to try to avoid ID. Would it be possible, and convenient, to provide a reference to the specific case that you menton? There are other factors in this issue, and that case woud be of significance.

I promise to fully explain, once this is all over - it is irritating not to know how ones assitance actually benefited an enquirer.

Thanks

Comment

The first case I referenced was:

Centinsoy & Others v London United Busways Limited, which went to the Employment Appeal Tribunal (EAT)

The second was:

Tapere v South London and Maudsley NHS Trust, again another EAT decision

Comment

Ups, thank you so much for taking the time to respond.
                  FYI, the situation has now been partially resolved, just awaiting the final details. I apologise for being cryptic, but if the other party see me here it could mess up the settlement. Once everything is settled I will be more forthcoming.

Thanjs again for your kindness

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                  See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                  X