• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Job offer withdrawn

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Job offer withdrawn

Hi everyone,

I recently interviewed for a role at a firm that I worked at previously. I did a 1st, 2nd and 3rd interview where I was interviewed by HR first and then followed by various members of the team that I would work in (last interview being with the person who would be my supervisor’s manager).

Off the back of the interviews, I was offered the job over the telephone by the person who would be my supervisor. I was offered a salary and start date which I accepted on the same phone call.

A few days I get an email from HR that a person who I used to work with in the team (who was my supervisors manager and has now risen to be the manager of who would be supervisor’s manager), wants to conduct a 4th interview with me about the role even though to my knowledge I had accepted the job and was starting on x date.

I attend the interview and it’s clear by the vibe that the person is not pleased to see me. I answer the questions and the interview ends. 2 days later the job offer is withdrawn. The person who would be my supervisor’s manager delivered the news and was enquiring as to what I said to make this happen. Seemed very disjointed their end.

Anyway I send an email to the person would be my supervisor’s manager stating that because I accepted the job offer the contract has began and I could sue for breach of contract. There was no written evidence of the offer at this point. A couple of phone calls happen from
    HR to me to ascertain what I want. I state that I would 4 weeks notice inc benefits and to give me a reason why they’ve done this. I made it clear that I believe this is some sort of personal grievance even though I don’t remember offending the person who has instigated the offer withdrawal.

They then go onto admit that they offered me the job via email and explain that the person who offered me the role did not have authorisation to make the offer (even though on our telephone call where she offered me the role she stated that she had spoken to HR to get me a higher salary).

They then send me an email stating that they are happy to pay me 4 weeks notice, subject to me attending ACAS early conciliation. They also state this at the end of the email;

This will not include benefits in accordance with our standard contractual terms.

Please note that we agree to make this payment with no admission of liability and in full and final settlement of any claims that you may have against xxx.

I have spoken to people within my family and they’re telling me to press for more than 4 weeks notice so that’s why I’m here to understand where I stand here.

I received an today from them asking whether I received the previous email and acknowledge receiving it and then go onto to threaten to withdraw the offer if acceptance isn’t made by Friday.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Tags: None

I would take that money and run.

If you have an existing job, have you given notice to leave, or have you not done that and dodged a bullet?
    Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Thanks Atticus - I will do, much appreciated.

Comment

I was self employed before this so no other PAYE job that I left to take this offer.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
        See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
        X