• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Removal of Service to replaced?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removal of Service to replaced?

This is an interesting local authority situation I'm being faced with. Due to budgets, it's been decided to close the tourist information centre and remove the tourism service where I've worked over 4 decades. Due to public and trader frustration at a recent forum meeting and after staff have been redeployed or at risk of redundancy, the council now wishes to offer the tourist information service for the public at other local authority buildings, namely local attractions, library etc., Can this be done? My post as manager is being identified as at risk and I'm being bullied by the management to apply for other 'suitable alternative posts' probably to save paying out redundancy and making up my pension pot which are totally unsuitable for me. I'm currently on my notice period at the information centre as manager but in a different role offering other occupants in the building visitor access accumulating toil and been advised by HR letter to use up any leave owing but this is being refused by the management. So confusing
    Tags: None

Sorry to hear that you are going through a redundancy process.

In answer to your question, yes the LA can decide that it is shutting the tourist information centre but then relocate the service elsewhere.

Other suitable alternative positions need to be offered by the LA to individuals at risk of redundancy as s part of the process they need to undertake.

You say the other roles are unsuitable for you why is that?

By accepting one of the positions on offer, what changes other than location will there be to your terms snd conditions of employment?

What impact will any location change have on your normal commute to work?

On the holiday situation it may be worth an email to HR saying you have request leave as advised but management are not authorising you to take it.
    If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
    If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

LAs usually have redundancy policies, have you read the one for your LA? Are they following the procedure in it?

Are you in a union? LA union reps will usually give advice to their members on this sort of situation so if you are a member speak to them too.
      All opinions expressed are based on my personal experience. I am not a lawyer and do not hold any legal qualifications.

Comment

Originally posted by ULA View Post

In answer to your question, yes the LA can decide that it is shutting the tourist information centre but then relocate the service elsewhere.

Other suitable alternative positions need to be offered by the LA to individuals at risk of redundancy as s part of the process they need to undertake.

By accepting one of the positions on offer, what changes other than location will there be to your terms snd conditions of employment?

On the holiday situation it may be worth an email to HR saying you have request leave as advised but management are not authorising you to take it.
        Thank you. I've not been offered redeployment but sent jobs by my manager to apply for that don't suit me. Location not a problem as I drive and a car, but I have family commitments and cannot do the out of hours working weekends or evenings (I've put in application I cannot do this) plus the job states things in that particular sector I do not meet, like experience, qualifications etc. I've put in the application that my current T&Cs do not require out of hours working.

Comment

I'm not in the union

Comment

The LA as part of a redundancy process have to make you aware of alternative positions in order to try to mitigate the need to make you redundant.

If duties vary and other factors such as qualifications and experience are required, then the employer needs to consider what training would be needed in order for you to carry out that new role and discuss this with you.

In terms of location your post says they want to offer "tourist information services for the public at other locations". I would assume you are adequately skilled to do this at another location and my question about location was whether that was the issue for you in respect of traveeling to any of these locations.

In terms of family commitments are these related to you being a carer for family members?
            If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

The LA as part of a redundancy process have to make you aware of alternative positions in order to try to mitigate the need to make you redundant.

If duties vary and other factors such as qualifications and experience are required, then the employer needs to consider what training would be needed in order for you to carry out that new role and discuss this with you.

In terms of location your post says they want to offer "tourist information services for the public at other locations". I would assume you are adequately skilled to do this at another location and my question about location was whether that was the issue for you in respect of traveeling to any of these locations.

In terms of family commitments are these related to you being a carer for family members?
              The job role is completely different, not in the tourist information centres I've trained in. This particular job is in public sector housing dealing with applicants seeking sheltered accommodation. I don't have the relevant qualification, 2 years minimum experience or dealt with individuals medical records, preparing cases for consideration to meet their housing needs.

My family commitments are looking after my grandchildren whilst parents work at weekends/evenings. My present contract doesn't have out-of-hours as it stipulates a contract of 37-hrs, Monday-Friday. I'm used to working occasional weekends during the day but not evenings.

HR sends me a weekly link to all the vacancies advertised on the website, but my manager is cherry picking ones like this one as it was ring-fenced. My team have been offered redeployment serving customers in sports sector and currently on their 4-week trial period. As manager it's harder to find suitable positions on my pay-grade.

Comment

If there is no suitable alternative position available to you and you can argue that is the case with what is being offered to you, then unfortunately your position will be terminated on the grounds of redundancy.

You will be due statutory redundancy pay as a minimum and you would need to check any enhancement to this in your LA's redundancy policy.

Comment

Originally posted by Mazda64 View Post

The job role is completely different, not in the tourist information centres I've trained in. This particular job is in public sector housing dealing with applicants seeking sheltered accommodation. I don't have the relevant qualification, 2 years minimum experience or dealt with individuals medical records, preparing cases for consideration to meet their housing needs.

My family commitments are looking after my grandchildren whilst parents work at weekends/evenings. My present contract doesn't have out-of-hours as it stipulates a contract of 37-hrs, Monday-Friday. I'm used to working occasional weekends during the day but not evenings.

HR sends me a weekly link to all the vacancies advertised on the website, but my manager is cherry picking ones like this one as it was ring-fenced. My team have been offered redeployment serving customers in sports sector and currently on their 4-week trial period. As manager it's harder to find suitable positions on my pay-grade.
                  Thank you for your quick response and did wonder if this would be case due the job being so different from what I'm doing.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                  See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                  X