• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Restrictive Covenants

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Restrictive Covenants

Hello, I have a query about RC.

i joined a firm in 2000 as an admin person and my offer letter was my contract until 2013 when i was asked to sign a new contract. At the time of signing, I was part of a 2 man sales force for this small firm. The owner, who used to be a sales person became very ill and stepped back. I stepped up to the plate.

Anyway, the contract contains 12 month non solicitation, non dealing clauses. It’s standard in my industry.

However, due to how things are going now the owner is dead and his child is going to be the new owner, I’m considering my future.

I have been to two different lawyers and both have opposing opinions.

There are weaknesses in my contract, so a second opinion would be invaluable here

1) the contract stated I was an administrator despite being in sales
    2) the 12 month terms apply to standard admin people, sales staff and key directors. I’ve seen all their contracts. A one size fits all policy was applied to covenants
    2A) since being promoted twice from 2013, I’ve now grown into a more unofficial director role, generating 80% of turnover and 90% firms profit. I understand you can’t grow into covenants. My personal view is that in 2013 I was not at director level and therefore covenants reflecting the same period as more senior staff may render them unenforceable if tested in court.
    3) the 2013 contract stated I had a 3 month probation (as one lawyer commented, either lack of attention to detail or a mammoth disregard for my legal position)
    4) I have a 3 month notice period
    5) at the time of being asked to sign the covenants, I received no consideration. No pay rise, promotion, or other material benefits in exchange for them. One lawyer firmly said this renders them useless as a contract was not formed and another pointed to a term in the contract stating it’s a condition of employment that I may be asked to sign deeds of restrictions from time to time
    7) the covenants are in a separate deed

any opinions in this murky subject would be appreciated

Tags: None

That is the thing with law sometimes it comes down to interpretation. I guess you may have not liked the answer from the first lawyer so went for a second opinion and unfortunately got a difference perspective which can happen.

The advantage that each of the lawyers had was, I presume, that you showed them the contract in full and you are asking our forum to provide an opinion without that advantage. I for one would certainly not want to provide an opinion without the benefit of at least having sight of the restrictive covenant.

If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
    If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
    See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
    X