• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Sueing an employer?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you for the information.

As regards the bullying/harassment allegations, she has evidence to support three out of the four definitions you kindly provided. She absolutely feels intimidated, and offended that she is being treated differently and subservient to the rest of the team. Even late yesterday afternoon, a minimal half-hour training session booked for today was cancelled for reason that "we cant spare the time"

Comment

Can I get further advice please as the situation has escalated.

​​​​​​​The situation was outlined in post 3. The person has experienced 8 months of severe trauma since her job was taken away from her (the department was disbanded and new jobs created in other departments) and she found herself in her new department with a job that doesnt seem to exist, with no training, gaslighted by colleagues and various issues suggestive of bullying and harrassment.

On 13 February she reacted when a person newly in the firms employment tried to give her some work that she thought belonged in another department. I understand that she asked the person to check who should be doing it because she didn't want to upset the department that she thought the work actually belonged to. A situation occured when she raised her voice, saying "you don't give up do you". She has now been told that she will face a misconduct hearing if the other person makes a complaint about her.

It looks like the firm may be trying to swing matters around to blame her for a situation not of her making but mishandling by the firm of the way they have shifted employees into a different department. (She, for example,was employed as a Project assistant, is now called a Project Planner, but seems to be no more than a finance dept lackey). HR asked her last week if she wanted to leave and yesterday her union rep asked her again if she wanted to leave, saying that the firm would pay her. This looks like the firm trying to take the easy way out of a situation they created in the first place.

I should say that the workplace situation is slightly improving. Colleagues who havent spoken to her for four weeks have stopped treating her like she doesnt exist and there has been one training session, with another booked for next week.

​​​​​​​Please can anyone advise?

Comment

I am not sure what you mean that "It looks like the firm may be trying to swing matters around to blame her for a situation not of her making but mishandling by the firm of the way they have shifted employees into a different department." in relation to an incident that happened with a new and therefore inexperienced member of staff.

Obviously you are posting on behalf of another person and unless you work alongside them and were in the vicinity of the interaction, you only know what this individual is telling you. If this person spoke inappropriately to a member of staff and if a complaint is made about that interaction, then the company, as with another complaint by one employee about another employee, will need to investigate. If a complaint is made, then it will be the outcome of the investigation into that incident that will determine whether any further action will be taken.

On the conversation with HR / union have these just been informal or have there been more detailed discussions? Given that the work situation is improving what does this person feel about whether they want to stay or leave?
        If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
        If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

I have no reason to doubt the veracity of what the person has told me.

The "new and inexperienced" staff member is in charge of a number of experienced staff, tried to give the subject person work that she thought belonged in another department and after a joint altercation, the subject person raised her voice and said to the "new and inexperienced" staff member "you dont give up do you". The subject person then made a verbal complaint to the department manager that she was being bullied. The bullying complaint was not specifically about the new employee but about a number of issues that meet the criteria for bullying in the workplace.

Since the above, clear attempts are being made to make the subject more inclusive, including giving her work and training so that the bullying allegation no longer applies. What remains is the threat of a possible misconduct complaint by the "new and inexperienced" staff member.

the subject does not want to leave an organisation that she has worked loyally and happily for for six years. However she believes that the department she has now been transferred to is not the best department to work in and has commercial values that conflict with those of the organisation (a charity) generally.

Her way out is to do home study to improve her previous project management skills with the objective that as more project management roles become available within the organisation, she may hopefully on merit be transferred out of the corporate finance department and put this whole sorry situation behind her.

She declined the offer to pay her to leave. She is not the protagonist although it may seem that way if the situation with the "new and inexperienced" staff member is isolated from all the other issues that have arisen from her previous department being assimilated into the finance department.

The involvement of the union and HR seem to be informally thus far.

Thank you for your response.

Comment

Sorry, wrong word. Should have said she is not the antagonist etc

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
            See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
            X