• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Am I being paid correctly?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am I being paid correctly?

Hello,

I'm work on a zero hours contract. I wanted to see if I've interpreted the contract correctly, I think I'm being underpaid.

Pay is stated in the contract as £20/hour with 5.6 weeks annual leave. My payslip says £18/hour with the remainder made up of annual leave. For example a 10 hour shift is £18/hour plus 1.1 hours of annual leave for £200 total or £20/hour. I was expecting annual leave on top of the £20/hour.
    Does that sound right? Previously I was paid annual leave on top, this was several years ago though. I can post the wording from the contract if it would help.

Thanks
    Tags: None

Have you thought of asking why you are not being paid £20 per hour?

If you have, what explanation was given?
    Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

They said I am being paid£20/hour that is made up of£18/hour plus the annual leave pay. I was asking as to me the contract sounds like I would be paid the annual leave on top of the hourly wage.

Comment

Zero hour contract workers are entitled to paid time off work. As with any rolled up holiday pay, it is technically illegal to use rolled up holiday pay for zero hour contract workers, although many businesses still do so in order to simplify holiday payments.

Is the hourly rate you are being paid and the holiday pay shown as separate lines on your payslip?

You may need to post up the specific clauses on your pay and holiday pay. Make sure when you do there is not identifying information for your or your employer.
        If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
        If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

Thanks ULA. Yes the hourly rate and the holiday pay are shown as separate lines on the payslip.

The relevant sections about renumeration and holidays from the contract are below.

REMUNERATION
          Your wage is £20 per hour, which will accrue from day to day and is paid monthly, by credit transfer directly into your nominated bank account or building society account. If you change the account you wish your payments to be made into it is important that you give us as much notice as possible to be able to accommodate the change. All payments will be subject to normal deductions for tax and national insurance contributions. You will be given a payslip each pay period detailing how your pay has been calculated.

ANNUAL LEAVE
          Our holiday year runs from the 1st April and ends on 31st March each year. Your annual holiday entitlement is 5.6 working weeks (pro-rata for part-time employees) in a full holiday year. If your employment with us commences part way through a holiday year, you will receive a pro-rata holiday entitlement. Your holiday pay will be based on your average earnings over the previous 52 weeks worked.

Your holiday entitlement includes the following public/bank holidays:

New Year’s Day Spring Bank Holiday
          Good Friday Summer Bank Holiday
          Easter Monday Christmas Day
          Early May Bank Holiday Boxing Day

A payment in lieu of untaken holidays will be made for any holidays which you have accrued during the current holiday year but have not taken at the time of your termination of employment.

If you have taken more holiday than your accrued entitlement at the date your employment terminates, we shall be entitled to deduct from your final remuneration payment, one day’s pay for each day taken in excess of your accrued entitlement.

Holiday entitlement at the date your employment terminates will be calculated as 1/52nd of your annual entitlement for each full week worked from the start of the holiday year up to your effective date of termination.

If you do not work the notice stipulated in this document, then any holidays which you have accrued in excess of the statutory minimum, will be forfeited and will not be paid. We may recover any holidays paid in excess of the statutory minimum from your final pay or any other monies which we may owe you.

Comment

Rolled up holiday pay should be paid in addition to your normal salary. From the clause entitled Remuneration I would interpret this to mean your wage is £20 per hour and there is no reference that this includes the 12.07% uplift for holiday pay.

I would suggest you go back to your employer and explain that the contract as written does not state that your hourly rate is inclusive of holiday pay and see what response you receive.
            If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

Thank you very much. I'll raise it with them.

Comment

I asked my employer and they've replied with the following -
                "I can confirm that you have been paid at the correct pay rate for the shifts worked, and unfortunately due to an HR administrative error, your contract contained the incorrect rate of pay.

I apologise for any inconvenience. HR will issue you with a correct contract version."

Contractually should they be paying me at £20/hour for the time before I sign the new contract? Or is this a reasonable change for them to make?

Thanks.

Comment

Thank you @rogoals for moving your post. Anyone who contributes to a thread will be notified each time there is a new post even if remains inactive for a few days/weeks.

Administrative errors do ok we are all human. Your contract should have set out that the £20 was made up of £18 per hour salary and £2 per hour holiday pay and that I guess is where they made the admin error and to rectify that they will re-issue the contract correctly worded.

When did you start working at the company, I presume relatively recently and was it your first payslip when you noticed this?

Comment

It's been a few months. I'm paid a month late, so paid for January work at the end of Feb. Its electronic payslips and my login didn't work. I didn't get round to checking as the pay was not miles off what was expected.
                    It's about £1200 different I think. A fair amount of money to me. I'm also going to be leaving the company in the next month or two. It feels unfair as in the interview the rate was £20/hour and then it said the same in the contract. I should have picked it up at the first payslip but it would still have been £800 less, as I'd have worked two months at that point. £2/hour less x 48 hours/week for two months.

Comment

I presume you received your payslip for work done in Jan in advance of you actually being paid at the end of Feb? Your initial post would seem that you picked up this issue quite quickly if you started in Jan

I would however point out that there was clearly the intent by the company that your salary would be £18 plus holiday pay of £2 per hour as this has been clearly set out in your payslip and I presume all payslips. This would point to an admin error in the precise wording of your contract.

Was hourly rate discussed at any interview you had?

Comment

Hi,

Sorry, started December, first payslip end of Jan. It would actually be more like £1600 now.
                        In the interview it was £20/hour, I assumed holidays on top and obviously the contract confirmed this.

Comment

Then you may be able to go back to your employer and say it is unlawful deduction of wages for which you could make a claim. Support this with the fact that at no point in the interview nor in the contract did it state that the £20 was made up of £18 salary and £2 holiday pay per hour. At the very least ask then to pay you at that rate until they came back and confirmed it was an admin error after you had queried this.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                          See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                          X