• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Respondent ET3 Timelimit Extension

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Respondent ET3 Timelimit Extension

Hi,

Have just received the respondent's ET3 it includes grounds of resistance as expected as well as extension to time-limit.

I am looking to have the tribunal make a ruling that either strikes out or rejects the respondent's time-limit extension.

Their emails states they received the ET1 7 days ago, and complying with a proper response (Their ET3 denies all claims as expect) would prejudice them if they had to respond to the ET1 by tomorrow 10th Jan 2024.

I am looking to respond and basically, object to their application and state that on x date, I made clear and concise communication through email that the respondent should seek legal advice, and the same on another date

Then on x date I also made a declaration that they had opened themselves up to litigation.

I was looking to reference this in my objection email, and include the documents and reference the specific points so the judge could make a decision, to show that they are in fact using delay tactics and this is not in favour of justice. They have had ample time to prepare a defense and have been forewarned about litigation. So I would ask the ET rejects their application for time-limit extension by a further 28 days.

Would this be allowed? Can I provide copies of the emails and the grievance which mentioned they opened themselves upto litigation?

I don't see why this wouldn't allowed, as they have submitted a grounds of resistance which denies everything.

Thank you.

Tags: None

In my experience courts and tribunals are sympathetic to applications for more time when the original period of time included all or part of the Christmas and New Year period.
    Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Hi atticus

I did find some case law, which granted the extension based on the Christmas period.

But I also found more case law, which supports my position in them not being granted an extension to their ET3 as their application for extension after being forewarned by the claimant was not a justifiable reason for their extension request as they had knowledge that the claimaint would litigate the matters (Discrimination, harassment, whistleblowing).

I looked at it in the manner of their application does not seem in the fairness of justice, it seems more of a delay tactic which they attempted multiple times when I originally went through the grievance processes.

worth a shot?
      Last edited by Benny8902; 10th January 2024, 07:14:AM.

Comment

What do you think is the chance that in due course you may need some flexibility from the other party? Remember that sometimes in life the unexpected happens and gets in the way.

What is the tone that you want to set?
        Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

It is highly likely that the completion of the ET3 and a limited detail Grounds of Resistance (GoR) was to ensure they got something back to the ET in the timescale. Their time limit extension will probably be to allow time to prepare a more detailed GoR response to your ET1.

The ET has a responsibility to ensure justice for both parties and as atticus points out we have recently gone though a period of business closures/operating on reduced staff for a period. Even if you have forewarned until a company actually gets an ET1 they cannot be sure an employee/ex-employee will actually make a claim.

By all means ask the Tribunal to resist the application for the time-limit extension but you are unlikely to get a Strike Out as they have submitted the ET3 and a limited GoR in the timescale.
          If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
          If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

The GoR is not so much limited. It basically denies all claims and provides no reason its a standard GoR

And after DSA I found out they are intentionally attempting to delay everything and anything.

Sure they could make a defence about Christmas period however this wouldnt be viable? As I have evidence (signed from an employee) they actually received the ET1 on 17th Decemember. The SAR states, delay and on 9th state we received on this date instead.

Comment

That sounds like a holding defence, which they now wish to replace with something more detailed.

Comment

Yeah holding defence but it would not be wise to contest this as clear evidence shows that they have lied to tribunal about when received ET1?

Comment

All you can do is make an application to the Tribunal not to agree for a time extension for the respondent to submit a more details GoR,.clearly setting out your reasons for this.

It will then be down to the Tribunal to make a decision.
                  If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

They got rejected in extension.

So what next?

Comment

Sorry do you mean the respondent's request for a time extension was rejected?

If so then the ET3 and GoR they did submit in time will be their response to your ET3.

Comment

Hi, yes was blocked. They denied everything in the ET3 and admitted to some discrimination. So it's good.

Comment

Were you sent the ET3 and GoR by the Tribunal or were you copied in by the respondent when they sent it to the ET?.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                          See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                          X