• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Allegations investigation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Allegations investigation

Today, I was informed that I have been named in an allegation of bullying, which is currently under investigation. My former line manager, who has since left the company, and I had a tense relationship ever since I joined her team earlier this year. When I transitioned from a managerial role to working under her, she asked if I had intentions of taking her position. I reassured her that I had no such intentions and simply wanted to excel in my new role and would always respect her authority.

A few months ago, the managing director, who was my manager's superior, and I happened to be out together outside of work and were talking. During our conversation, he mentioned that he heard she was seeking a new role and might be leaving soon. This information aligned with what I had heard from others in the office, but I had always considered it as mere gossip. However, given the director's statement, I approached a colleague who was close to my manager to inquire about the truth behind the rumors. He asked her about it, and she reported back to the director, claiming that I was spreading rumour’s.

A few days later I was called into a meeting with both of my seniors and was questioned why I had relayed this information, I explained that I had sought clarification because our department was already facing instability. The director expressed his dissatisfaction with me sharing the information, and I acknowledged that I should have kept it to myself. I assured them that I did not intend to cause trouble and apologised to both the manager and the director. Furthermore, I informed the manager that in the future, I would directly approach her with any concerns about the department.

Despite this incident, we continued working together for a few more months, and I believed our professional relationship had improved. However, the manager left the company a few weeks ago, and the director has been reassigned to another department.

I received a notification today stating that I am being investigated for sharing confidential information and engaging in bullying behavior towards the manager. This news has left me utterly shocked, as I have been with the company for 9 years and have never had any conflicts with anyone. The letter alleges that I breached confidentiality, causing the manager to feel humiliated.

The fact finding meeting is tomorrow afternoon and I am feeling so anxious about it, I have never been on the receiving end of something like this and I don’t know how I am to best manage the situation. Should I prepare anything, should I just listen to what is being said and respond at a later date?
    Tags: None

This meeting is for your employer to establish the facts regarding any allegation made against you and the the interview will be to determine if formal disciplinary action should be taken against you.

You should be honest, open and cooperate fully at the meeting but at the same time consider carefully what you say. Listen to questions and be concise in your answers. If you can answer a question with a simple yes or no, do so.

Your employer will not usually provide you with all of the evidence they have at this stage. During the meeting you may verbally be given some of the information or you may get more specific details about allegations you are expected to respond to. Be prepared to ask for clarification or further information to allow you to answer.

You may be asked questions about events or incidents days, weeks or even months earlier as it seems may be the case in this situation, if you are unable to answer say so, and explain why. Or if you need more time to answer a question ask for it.

Try to agree with your employer for you to have time to reflect on what was discussed at an investigation meeting and to be able to add to your responses. A reasonable employer will allow you to add any additional comments you wish to make after the meeting and within a reasonable and agreed timeframe.

The meeting can be frustrating and upsetting because you are likely to be hearing allegations and other negative comments about you for the first time, so try to remain as calm and composed as you can.

If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
    If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
    See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
    X