• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Nepotism and favouritism.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nepotism and favouritism.

Predicament with managers friends getting promotions.

Last year I applied for a deputy team lead position with one other colleague. One of the managers of 2 at interview was his friend, his child’s godfather and the interviewee’s father-in-law is also a colleague – who is best friends with the manager. He got the job, hes 21 and im 50 with more other work experience but the same or slightly more experience in our current roles.

Our main team leader was retiring within a year. The job was created to help the main team lead and when he retired – the deputy was to step into the main role. It was unofficially said at the time that the other interviewee was to step into the deputy role (me).

The team lead retired, deputy stepped in and the deputy role was not filled. unofficially this was to be myself. I contacted another manager regarding this and they eventually set up an advertisement for the deputy role. I had to be reinterviewed but the new team lead did not.

The father-in-law mentioned above. Was on a 40hr contract from a previous contract that was tupe’d over. He has the easiest job and only works 15-20hrs per week. This is a point of contention between other staff. For example, I work 40+ hours every week on a 25hr contract and get paid for the hours I work, I don’t get an overtime rate even when I work weekends that take me to 55hrs every 3rd week. The guy in the 40hr contract gets overtime at the correct rate on the 40hr contract.

So he works 15-20hrs a week, gets paid 40hrs and only works 3hrs each weekend day 6hrs total but claims 5hrs per day (same but easier job) so he gets 7.5hrs Saturday and 10hrs for a Sunday. I work 5hrs per day on a Saturday and 5 on a Sunday – and get 10 hours flat rate.

Now the deputy role has been advertised and I have applied, unofficially its my job, we all know it and I was the only one who would apply.

The boldness of this man. He told me at our xmas nite out – last night. His friend the manager, told him to apply as his protected contract will expire soon and he needs the deputy role to continue on a 40hr contract – he also told me he is guaranteed the job as his friend the manager, who is on the interview panel makes the decision. He literally apologised to me but in a “that’s the way it works” way. We argued etc and the whole team is aware of the situation.

There are more ins and outs in this story I dont need to go into but you get the basics. Im sending an email to our main manager, asking her to recuse the other manager from the process and sited what was said at the nite out.

What else do I do and what could potentially happen?

Thanks for your time

Eta;
    The guy that got the 1st position I was in for “had more experience” in a part of the job I actually had more experience – this was not a question at the interview but a reason for the promotion.

I know none of the above is against any laws and that is “the way it works” we call the 3 people mentioned above “the triangle” and once ive sent the email – im done for, but I cat take it anymore.
    Last edited by Steviem; 9th December 2023, 15:49:PM.
    Tags: None

Unfortunately, as you say there is nothing in law that covers such a situation unless you can prove discrimination due to a protected characteristic. Also, it always concerns me about things that are said on "nights out" and the validity of what is said.

I am also unsure as to what was said to you "the manger told him to apply as his protected contract will expire soon and he needs the deputy role to continue on a 40hr contract" Since he was TUPE'd over there is no timescale under these regulations for a contract being protected, given they are indefinite and that if any change to terms and conditions of employment is due to the transfer, it will be prohibited, even if it occurs some years after the transfer took place.

Practically, I think you will need to see what response you get from the maim manager before considering what you can do next.
    If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
    If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

On no, now it makes sense. The TUPE having no end date changes things – what was more likely meant is that his friend the manager actually said to him – he needs to justify his low hours on the 40hr contract, by having the team lead role! And hes been guaranteed it to that fact. Why would they give me a 40hr contract and extra duties, when theirs a guy doing nothing and already on 40hrs.

They just came back to me saying because I’m accusing the manager, he will be investigated on another issue I mentioned about the previous interview (the other work experience” . But that the manager had already voluntary stepped down from the upcoming interview panel.

They also just sent our a team email appealing a last chsance to apply to the rest of the team, also mentioning that the manager in question has stepped down from the interviews (The whole place is buzzing about it) . this is them covering there bases and hoping the other guys will think they have a chance now.

Thanks for your reply, it doesn’t help me lol but now I know I’m unemployed very soon.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
      See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
      X