• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Refuse new position redundancy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Refuse new position redundancy

Hi
    i have worked 18 years in an area sales manager role. Company restructuring. Reducing from 9 managers to 6. Company in freefall so thinking time to get out. Company has followed produce ie written notice. Etc. I asked for voluntary redundancy which they excepted , asked to put in writing but they refused. So went for restructuring new sales manager role interview today. My question is do I have to except the new job if I am offered it as I would rather get the redundancy payment as I believe company won’t be around in 12 months.
    do I need reason to turn down job?
    Tags: None

Sorry forgot is new role is a bigger area and has more targets attached for bonuses to be paid.

Comment

It is the company's decision who to make redundant.
      Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

You may lose your right to statutory redundancy pay if you unreasonably turn down an offer of suitable alternative employment.

However, you can refuse an offer of suitable alternative employment on the grounds that the role is not "suitable". You would need to notify your employer of this prior to the ending of your current job or, if there is a trial period for the new role, before the trial period ends. If you do not give notice in time, again you will lose you right to any statutory redundancy pay. You would need to set out your reasons as to why the role was not suitable which would depend on factors such as:

* how much you will be paid and what benefits you'll get, for example pension
        * where the job is - will it be further for you to travel
        * how similar the role is to your current job
        * what terms you're being offered
        * your skills and abilities in relation to the role

If your employer decided that you had unreasonably refused an offer of suitable alternative employment, then they can consider you as having been dismissed on grounds of redundancy and you would lose your entitlement to statutory redundancy pay
        If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
        If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

Originally posted by atticus View Post
          It is the company's decision who to make redundant.
          hi thanks
          one of the 9 candidates was interviewed today. he requested a different interviewer which was granted. the rest had the same two. the one that interview him was our old boss and is a friend of the candidate. would this be viewed as a unfair advantage given to this candidate.

In my interview i stated that i felt that the interviewer should not be interviewing me for position, as he is new to the company and no experience. which i got them to note on the interview sheet.

thanks

Comment

My view and it is only a personal view based on years of experience is that when carrying out interviews there should be a matrix of what is required from a successful candidate which needs to be consistently applied across each candidate that is interviewed.

To ensure that consistency of application then you need the same interviewing team for all candidates, unless there are unavoidable situations where an interviewer is unable to attend e.g. sickness absence - even then for an all internal candidate process it is probably easy to arrange to reschedule.

If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
            If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
            See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
            X