• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Understanding "EMPLOYEE PROPRIETARY INFORMATION AND INVENTIONS AGREEMENT"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Understanding "EMPLOYEE PROPRIETARY INFORMATION AND INVENTIONS AGREEMENT"

Hello,

I am wondering if it is just me who is confused with some aspects of "EMPLOYEE PROPRIETARY INFORMATION AND INVENTIONS AGREEMENT" which can be found here: Form of Employee Proprietary Information and Inventions Agreement (sec.gov)

1. On one hand this document (4. ADDITIONAL ACTIVITIES) states that:

"I agree that during the period of my employment by the Company, I will not, without the Company’s express written consent, engage in any employment or business activity which is competitive with, or would otherwise conflict with, my employment by the Company"

and on the other hand (2.8 Enforcement of Proprietary Rights), it states that:

" My obligation to assist the Company with respect to Proprietary Rights relating to such Company Inventions in any and all countries shall continue beyond the termination of my employment, but the Company shall compensate me at a reasonable rate after my termination for the time actually spent by me at the Company’s request on such assistance"

I am wondering how the person can continue to support his old company if a new company that is using the same document most probably will prevent him from doing so.

Taking into account the requirements of (9. NOTIFICATION OF NEW EMPLOYER) which states that: "In the event that I leave the employ of the Company, I hereby consent to the notification of my new employer of my rights and obligations under this Agreement." this person will never be able to find a job.

Is this not an infringement of employees' rights?

Also confused with the following statement from the same document:

10.3 Successors and Assigns. This Agreement will be binding upon my heirs, executors, administrators, and other legal representatives and will be for the benefit of the Company, its successors, and its assigns

What kind of heirs, executors, and administrators this is all about if the person is being employed as a staff? His children cannot inherit this position from him and he cannot be held responsible after he dies...

Please let me know if my understanding is wrong and share your thoughts on this

Thanks in advance

Tags: None

Can I ask considering the jurisdiction is the state of Colorado are you from the States. If so we are a UK based site and I would not want to provide advice on an interpretation of another jurisdiction in case we arrived at a wrong conclusion.

There is a US site similar in name to us linked to below you may be able to assist:

https://legalbeagle.com/
    If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
    If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

Originally posted by ULA View Post
      Can I ask considering the jurisdiction is the state of Colorado are you from the States. If so we are a UK based site and I would not want to provide advice on an interpretation of another jurisdiction in case we arrived at a wrong conclusion.

There is a US site similar in name to us linked to below you may be able to assist:

https://legalbeagle.com/
      Hello, many thanks for your response. I am based in UK. The reason why I am asking is that US Company I requesting there UK employees to sign this document.

Comment

Your heirs etc can be bound by the assignment of IP rights. That might be what they are clumsily getting at.
        Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
        See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
        X