• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Advice re work incident

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice re work incident

While at work I received some bad news whereby I was inconsolable (crying) and was approached by another member of staff.
    I explained the issue and then went on to explain some other stresses that were occurring at work/ongoing.
    I inadvertently said something that I shouldn't and asked that they not repeat this.
    They unfortunately repeated this and my boss came into a room I was having a meeting in and swore at the people to get out (the exact phrasing was something like "Get the F out. Just F off".
    Where they proceeded to lay into me for saying what I said.
    I apologised and asked if we could discuss to which they said they were busy and walked away.

This broke me further and I was sent home due to crying and being unable to work.

Before this, I was involved in a discussion (one of many) whereby were being made and the full ramifications from these needed investigating.
    I was asking for things to slow down and they were moving full speed ahead and stating these were not problems (to my mind and the evidence I could find these would breach the Professional Code of Conduct that I, and the people this involved, would affect).
    Other incidents were concerning that I was investigating but was unsure how to bring these forward as the boss is not easy to approach.
    That I would cause/be responsible for plans not occurring if I didn't do what was being asked/said.

Later that evening I was contacted by another member of staff who stated that the boss had called them in as they had started looking through the internal messaging system.

I was called by the Office Manager a few days later asking if I would meet up.
    I agreed but stated that I did not want to meet at the Office.
    What I thought was a wellness check due to what happened turned into a 2-hour meeting at Starbucks (I should have stopped this looking back but I am still in shock from the whole experience).
    I was told that another senior and the office manager had gone through the internal messaging system for the last year (no mention of my boss having done this already).
    The system was used for work conversations but, like any system, there is gossip that was done. I can't say what was discussed as I cannot remember but nothing malicious and just office gossip.

I was told as Lead I should have stopped this, that things were said that they were not happy with.
    Due to this and the incident I would lose the Lead position, the training would be removed from me; and they were unable to comment about potential training that I was meant to start in the new year.
    That the situation was salvageable and that I would need to come in and meet with my boss.
    (should I expect a written copy of what was discussed or do I need to request one)

My queries are:
    Can my boss just decide to look through the messaging system and wouldn't a review need to be logged to gain access?
    Even if they already had access would they not need to start something formal due to GDPR and confidentiality?
    Would this not be a conflict and "taint" the rest of the investigation?
    There has been no mention of my boss apologising or that they were taking action due to swearing at me.
    Should I be expecting to know what punishment he is receiving (even if he is being punished at all?)

That I seem to be having all responsibility removed and being punished and by removing these the core part of my employment contract is removed/altered.
    Can they just do this or do I have to agree to it?

They discussed a public place, discussed private things and a situation and outcomes.

Nothing formal has occurred and I am still off sick and being told I am being punished.
    Can they do this?

No one else has been pulled/punished regarding the messages that have been singled out for punishment for the messages.

What can I realistically expect to occur and where do I stand legally?
    I've worked there for only a year and have never had anything like this occur and I am at a complete loss.

I'm sorry for the rambling but I am at a loss and would like some clarity.
    I have involved my Union (and need to update regarding the 2-hour meeting) which seems to be a meeting, an apology for saying something I shouldn't have resolved anything.
    I feel like I have been singled out and a witch hunt where they have gone specifically looking for for evidence to use against me.
    Tags: None

Can you provide any update so that any advice I can give is done so on most up-to-date information.
    If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
    If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
    See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
    X