• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Reference denied as over six years?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reference denied as over six years?

Have background check for promotion need references again ..yes I know but it's protocol ten years background .. need reference told no they don't hold data for anything over six years , seriously I have had companies go beyond and confirm worked for them longer than ten years ago ..is this legal refusal of confirmation you were employed by them.. incidentally no drama good work just left due to pay and hours .. can they decline reference saying they don't hold you're data after six years ?? Doesn't sound right and now jepordasing me to current employer.. as honest said when I worked with them for background check ..wow ..anyone clarify please?
    Tags: None

I do not believe that there is any obligation to give a reference.

Might you be able to locate a reference previously given by this former employer?
    Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Six years for keeping employee records is the general guideline. There is no legal obligation to keep them longer.
      If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
      If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

I believe that the government, HMRC, only require companies to keep records of tax and pay for 6 years but may keep records longer than that.

Is your old employer able at least to confirm that you did in fact work for them, even if they are no longer able to give a reference as such?
        All opinions expressed are based on my personal experience. I am not a lawyer and do not hold any legal qualifications.

Comment

I couldn't get references in my current role not strictly because of time served, but they (the last company) were just a badly organised company who didn't really care about digging it out and couldn't find the records - in the end my new company just had me sign a declaration of honesty which seemed a fairly standard issue form.

A company doesn't have to (and arguably shouldn't even if it wanted to) store your data any longer than it's legally required to. Also even managers change jobs so people won't even know who you were, so it's realistically unreasonable to be able to get a reference *for life*. Hiring businesses should have a process with managing this realism.
          Last edited by Presonus; 19th October 2023, 10:12:AM.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
          See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
          X