• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Breach of Trust and Confidence

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breach of Trust and Confidence

Hi all, wonder if you can provide me with some steer here, as I feel as though I've been let down - if not from a legal point of view, from an ethical point of view - and I feel as though I have no one to turn to.

So, I recently disclosed to a more senior colleague (Operations Manager), information about an offer of employment I've received from an ex-employer. I done this in complete confidence; and the Operations Manager agreed not to breach this confidence. I'm friend with the Operations Manager outside work - and that's where the conversation took place - outside work, outside working hours, in private, as part of a casual conversation. In fact, during the conversation, the Operations Manager also disclosed to me some pretty hot opinions about the company board, and direction of the company.

Fast forward 1-week, and I find out that the Operations Manager has disclosed my conversation to the Managing Director, on the basis that it was "necessary that he knew" so that he could "ensure stability" in the team. Now, luckily, the Managing Director is understanding, and wants to have a constructive conversation about my other offer.

If I were the Operations Manager, and it *was* absolutely necessary that the Managing Director knew about the situation, I would have spoken told the Managing Director that "someone" in the team has received another offer, and that I'd encourage them to come forward to talk about it. I'd then talk to me, and tell me that I should come forward, that my confidence has not been breached, but that the Managing Director has been softened up to a conversation about someone's future in the business.

But that's not the point. I have to report into, and spend a significant part of my day working with the Operations Manager, whom, obviously, I now know I cannot trust as far as I can throw them.

If I so wanted to (and I don't), I could disclose to the Managing Director, the nature of the Operations Manager's opinions about the board - but I won't as a point of principle; and because I agreed to keep that information in confidence.

I have worked for my employer for 2 and a half years now - and I've never felt like this before. I feel that I cannot trust my line manager with anything anymore.

Honestly, I feel completely betrayed. Am I justified in feeling betrayed? Was it too much to expect the explicit confidence that I gained from the Operations Manager (and my friend, outside work, off-premises), would be held?

Do I have any recourse?

Thank you.
    Tags: None

I think you have been naive. Your manager has obligations towards the company.

Given how you feel, maybe you should take that offer.
    Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Hello, on a personal level you're well within your rights to feel betrayed by someone you felt comfortable to have that conversation with, but take the small positive that you now have a better understanding of what kind of person they are, and learn from it. On a professional level, it seems that you could be in a good position with this. An offer from a previous employer, and the opportunity to renegotiate you current employment, you're clearly valued, so again take the positive from this.

No good will come from objecting to this, there's no detriment to you. Speak to the MD and keep your integrity, and remember only you look out for you.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
      See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
      X