• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Whistleblowing not recognised by former employer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whistleblowing not recognised by former employer

Hello, back in October 2022 I made a disclosure to my regional manager about wrongdoing in my workplace by my colleagues, and one of the points I raised was that some staff were not wearing safety equipment as required, despite me raising my concerns to my manager. At the time the regional manager described it as 'whistleblowing' and an investigation was launched. I was interviewed in December about it and then heard nothing regarding it until February this year, when I received an investigation decision letter which described it as an independent investigation. I questioned why it was not being being looked at as whistleblowing anymore, and was told that that it was looked at as a grievance and that I "should concidering that as a good thing" by the new regional manager as the original one had retired.

I then learned that during the investigation my colleagues had all raised grievances against me, which resulted in more investigations, and me being ultimately dismissed in June(not before they tried twice with a without prejudice settlement offer first though) . I have repeatly tried to get them to explain the why it wasn't viewed as whistleblowing but have not had a response. I am now facing a potential tribunal process and I am a little lost to say the least, as during the investigation there was a a breach of GDPR on the companies side regarding sensitive personal data belonging to my wife, so I'm trying to run a complaint and through the ICO against them as well. If anyone has any thoughts on this I'd be very grateful.
    Tags: None

I'm not clear what reason was given for your dismissal in June this year.

What does you dismissal letter state is the reason for your dismissal?
    All opinions expressed are based on my personal experience. I am not a lawyer and do not hold any legal qualifications.

Comment

Referring to a colleague as a sociopath, and have a platonic relationship with a colleague. These are gross misconduct offences to the company, and not in line with their code of conduct.

Comment

Thanks,

Tagging ULA
        All opinions expressed are based on my personal experience. I am not a lawyer and do not hold any legal qualifications.

Comment

So a couple of initial questions:

1. How long have you been employed
          2. Did you appeal the decision to dismiss you
          3. What potential claim are you considering making for which you need to go submit a claim to ACAS via Early Conciliation
          4. whistleblowing is typically about wrongdoing at work which must be in the the public interest, meaning it must affect others, for example the general public. Would this be the case with what you whistleblew on back in Oct 2022.
          If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
          If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

Hello and thanks for the response. I'll answer the questions one by one.

1. I had been with the company 8 and a half years at the time of my dismissal.
            2. I did not appeal the dismissal on the ground that all mutual trust and Confidence had been broken by their actions.
            3. The potential claims I am concidering are unfair dismissal due to a protected disclosure being recognised, and disability discrimination as I had been affected by mental health problems for over a year with little support from them (lack of duty of care).
            4. The disclosure Iade was that other members of the team would not water safety equipment (safety shoes, gloves, eye protection etc) when required for tasks, putting their safety at risk.

Comment

And early conciliation has been attempted, but the company did not engage.

Comment

Thank you for the responses to my questions and my comments are:

1. Thank you for confirming your length of service

2. Ideally you should have completed the internal process and appealed the decision but you have the potential of using the mutual trust and confidence had been broken by their actions argument, if you can set out the case for this.

3 & 4. As I have set out you would need to prove that your protected disclosure/whistleblowing meets several criteria rather than it being a grievance or work-place issue.

3. For a disability discrimination claim you would need to prove that you have a disability as defined by the Equality Act 2010 and that your employer could have reasonably known of the disability.
                If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

Thank you for taking the time to look at this. I think I've got enough to prove what I need to for this to go in my favour, with the added bonus of the ICO upholding my complaint against them against them over a DSAR request I submitted and they didn't respond to (infringement of the legislation they called it) and a further misuse of sensitive personal data complaint regarding my wife that the ICO is currently investigating, I feel that they may try to settle.

Comment

If you are going to continue with an employment tribunal claim, then please make sure that you submit the ET1 in time.

Given the backlog in the tribunals and the stress of being a litigant in person, if you can come to a settlement you are happy with, then that would be a good outcome.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                    See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                    X