• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Possible disability discrimination?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible disability discrimination?

TL;DR: Drug screening laboratory cannot complete verification (over 2 months) of a *false positive* result, from an oral fluid test, caused by prescription medication, because, allegedly they did not follow the correct protocol. They should have done an MRO (Medical Review Officer) review, as is legally required, but they actually, just returned raw data (just re-testing in a lab environment) and thus returning a confirmation of the initial swab test

I disputed the result, stating that they did not take into account, the fact that I take medication, and requested a review. After providing additional medical and personal info (should have been requested by the MRO via phone call before that), they have failed to conclude anything in over 4 months, basically ghosting me and the whole situation.No one wants to give a definitive answer or own up to the situation.

Long form:

Greetings!In the beginning of march, I was due to start work on a self employed basis for a delivery company. As part of the pre-employment clearance I had to conduct an oral fluid swab test for illicit substances.
    • Prior to doing the test, I gave full disclosure to the operative, that I have a diagnosed disability for which I take prescription medication. I also explained that the test will probably flag up, due to the medication. (The medication does not impede my ability to perform normal tasks and work).
    • I was advised to carry on as usual. The test came back positive and the operative stated, that in order to get cleared, a second sample must be sent to a laboratory to verify that the positive is caused by the medication.
    • We followed the procedure, I wrote down on a protocol the medication, dosage, intake frequency. Signed it, sealed it and it was sent off. I was given a 10 work day timeframe for the result , no other instructions.

(At the time I didn't know that the correct procedure isn't going to be followed from there on, I only found out recently, upon personal investigation)
    • 10 work days later, I receive notification from one of the people working for my future employer, that the test came back positive for the same substance as the initial one (Amphetamines).
    • I immediately objected, stating that they apparently did not take into account my medication and personal circumstances, and requested a review/explanation. I was then asked to provide proof of my diagnosis and prescriptions under my name.
    • I provided them immediately. After that, there was no communication from them for over a month and a half. I tried to call up the laboratory a month ago, to follow up and see why it's taking so long (the whole process shouldn't take more than a week). An administrator told me, that they cannot disclose any information with me, because the test was sent under my future employers name.
    • Two weeks ago they appear out of the blue, and contact my future employer again via email. In the email, they apologise for the delay and state that it was due to : "migration of IT services" . They then ask for the details of my GP surgery, because an MRO must contact contact them and me in order to confirm that the positive was caused not by illicit drugs, but by my medication.
      • In the beginning of June I filed an official complaint against the said laboratory under EqA 2010. After 19 days they gave me a deflective answer that they will investigate and will contact the Delivery company. I was also told to contact them(delivery company) from there on, as they are the main client of the drug test.
      • The delivery company have also been quite passive in their responses to me. I have. told them, that they have to defend my position and aid in clearing this issue.
      • I also made a GDPR request to the Laboratory and asked them to provide data, correspondence that they hold on me.
      • I have also found out that they're attempting to make another MRO review, but I haven't been contacted by anyone for it.(I don't know if they can do it at this point)

(If I was to be denied employment, because of the medication, it would have been done in the beginning, I don't think this is the case)

I was advised to contact ACAS and the EASS. I did both, even got through to Citizens advice, and was told I can seek compensation on the grounds of Discrimination due to Disability by a Service provider.

Additionally, I was doing some research and found out allegedly, how the laboratory has not followed the correct protocol exactly.

When the second swab was sent, I was supposed to provide my GPs contacts when sending the sample in order for the MRO to conduct his process as intended by law. I was not asked anything of the sort. I suspect, that initially they had no intention to do an MRO review, or forgot to do it, I don't know.

Upon getting a second non-positive result, the MRO has an obligation to contact me for an interview. Has to attempt at least 3 times. Leaving 3 voicemails if he is not able to(this is to give me an opportunity to explain my case). He must also contact my GP to confirm that they prescribe the said medication. If all is confirmed, they have to declare the test negative and must notify me and my employer within 48 hours (if I recall correctly ).

I found a similar case in the US, where initially the lab only did a secondary test and did not employ an MRO review, and the same thing happened, and they were taken to court over the case, subsequently, the lab was found liable for professional negligence for not providing duty of care, mishandling of samples.

Conclusion:

I am not sure which route to take on from here. I am determined to seek a compensation for financial losses, stress, emotional distress.

County court, Employment tribunal?

Should I seek a resolution on the grounds of Discrimination, or Professional negligence, Medical negligence, Misconduct? There is not much information on the matter in the UK, and I cannot rely on cases from the US, as it's a whole different jurisdiction.

Tags: None

This is not an employment situation as this is a process for a self employed position, so you would not be able to take this to an employment tribunal.

If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
    If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

Originally posted by ULA View Post
      This is not an employment situation as this is a process for a self employed position, so you would not be able to take this to an employment tribunal.
      I have consulted ACAS on this question and they stated, that it would not matter, that I am self employed. Also, there is a good body of case law, which confirms this, especially for drivers on similar contracts.

I Atev v Fast Despatch Logistics Ltd: 2305129/2021

Mr M Johnston and others v Amazon UK Services UK Ltd and others: 2201568/2022 and others

Last edited by I.ivanov; 11th August 2023, 14:24:PM.

Comment

The Act states that those who are under "a contract of employment, a contract of apprenticeship or a contract personally to do work" are protected against discrimination based on a protected characteristic. As a self-employed individual you may be covered if you carry out service where typically you are not permitted to sub-contract any part of the work or use others to do it.

What does your self-employed contract state on this, if you have been provided with one yet?
        If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

Originally posted by I.ivanov View Post

I have consulted ACAS on this question and they stated, that it would not matter, that I am self employed. Also, there is a good body of case law, which confirms this, especially for drivers on similar contracts.

Mr M Johnston and others v Amazon UK Services UK Ltd and others: 2201568/2022 and others

It states that I can sub-contract work only to persons who have passed the relevant on-boarding processes by the principal of the service and the sub-contracting (delivery company). The contract is 99% word for word the same as I Atev v Fast Despatch. The employment judge applies the Pimlico test on exactly that paragraph of the contract. The conclusions are under paragraph 23.- 28. of the tribunal decision.
          Last edited by I.ivanov; 11th August 2023, 15:05:PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ULA View Post
            The Act states that those who are under "a contract of employment, a contract of apprenticeship or a contract personally to do work" are protected against discrimination based on a protected characteristic. As a self-employed individual you may be covered if you carry out service where typically you are not permitted to sub-contract any part of the work or use others to do it.

What does your self-employed contract state on this, if you have been provided with one yet?
            It states that I can sub-contract work only to persons who have passed the relevant on-boarding processes by the principal of the service and the sub-contracting (delivery company). The contract is 99% word for word the same as I Atev v Fast Despatch. The employment judge applies the Pimlico test on exactly that paragraph of the contract. The conclusions are under paragraph 23.- 28. of the tribunal decision.

Comment

Some input by anyone?

Comment

We are a volunteer community and dependent on individuals coming online to provide their advice and it has been a weekend.

You may have the status of worker, however the commencement of your self-employed contract is dependent on successful completion of pre assessment criteria, including this drug screening.

it seems from what you have said it is the laboratory and their process that may not have even conducted correctly, thereby potentially producing incorrect results.

I am also not clear you know what the final outcome will be and what the consequences will be for you being able to start work. Therefore at the moment, you are also unable to fully quantify any potential claim you may have.

It then depends on who the claim should be made against, again until you know the outcome it is difficult to determine. If it is the drug screening company, then it would be the county court for which you would pay a fee based on the value of your claim. If it was against the employer then you would need to prove your status using past case judgement and then prove disability discrimination in the recruitment process.

Either way if you have a claim then it would not be a quick process both the county courts and employment tribunals are back-logged

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                X