• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Translator requirements

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Translator requirements

An employee has been dismissed. The employee has lodged an appeal in line with the companies handbook. The employees first language is not English, and they will require translation. They have been offered the opportunity to bring along a colleague or union representative, but have now demanded ‘a professional translator’. Is the employee required to provide this? I can’t seem to find much info on the internet regarding this.

Many thanks
    Tags: None

Who did the translation prior to dismissal when there were discussions with management? Why can't they do it for the appeal?

The underlying point of fairness is that the employee must have the opportunity to put their case and explain themselves so what is the employee's reason for saying a professional translator is needed to achieve this?
    All opinions expressed are based on my personal experience. I am not a lawyer and do not hold any legal qualifications.

Comment

Have a look here: https://www.lra.org.uk/sites/default...ril%202011.pdf

also It may be possible to raise the matter with the employer regarding Equality Act 2010

Comment

The OP is the employer.
        Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

If you are seeking to object to this on grounds of cost, this may be a short-term view. Providing an interpreter may assist you in demonstrating the fairness of your process should the employee take this to Tribunal.

It may therefore not be a question of whether you must do this, but whether it is wise to do so.
          Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Opps misread that, thank you for correction. atticus

Comment

Sorry just to say the link to the document in post #3 relates to Northern Ireland and although their employment practices are similar if you are based in England or Wales there may be a variation.

Another alternative to consider is whether there is a family member who may be able to translate in this situation. Whatever happens you need to conduct a fair and reasonable process, which does include having to make reasonable adjustments where necessary.
              If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
              If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

Thank you everyone who advised. To answer the questions raised:
                We’ve always offered employees to bring a colleague or trade union rep. During discussions and hearings we use senior managers or the same nationality. This has been the case with this employee for previous warnings and discussions. He has never objected. He is doing so this time, simply because he can and is being driven by family members who are miss using the Equality Act. This is the third date for the hearing, due to similar prevarication.

One quote for a translator was nearly £1k, which is frustrating considering the reason for dismissal was destruction of company property (at considerable cost to the business). However, we have found a professional service who will send an interpreter in person for a more palatable cost.
                Atticus - Your advice is wise, and I feel better about providing one. Thank you.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                X