• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Breach of contract?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breach of contract?

Hi guys, what are your thoughts?

I was offered a job, which I accepted and then it was withdrawn without notice or compensation. This would normally be a breach of contact. However, they claim a 'company restructure' is the reason it was withdrawn which seems to be a grey area. How can I determine whether they have breached the contract and it is worth pursuing legal action in this case or not?

Thanks
    Tags: None

You say that you were offered a job, how was this offered to you and did you sign a contract of employment?
    If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
    If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

I was offered it verbally by my recruiter first. I accepted verbally. Then I was offered it via the company portal. I had to choose whether to accept or reject the offer- I accepted it and received an email confirming I'd accepted it. I went into the office to prove my right to work, get my passport scanned etc. I then got the contract to download via the portal. I was meant to sign the contract but wasn't able to before they withdrew the offer. I have a copy of the contract and an email from them proving I'd accepted the offer.

Comment

If you accepted verbally and via a portal and then have been provided a copy of the contract, you may potentially be able to argue that you should be given your entitlement to notice as per the contract (based on probationary period) which should be paid as you have not been asked not to start but that is all.

If they do not agree to pay then I doubt it is worth pursuing as it would be a county court claim for which you would need to pay a fee and the backlog in the system means it could take months before you may have any outcome.
        If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

Thing is there is no probationary period stated, only a 3 month notice period, which presumably means that's what I'd be entitled to. That's a fair bit, so maybe it would be worth pursuing? Thanks for your help

Comment

Potentially there is no guarantee you will be able to recover anything.

Comment

2 questions.

1. Was the offer subject to any conditions such as satisfactory references or satisfying them you have the right to work?

2. What did you do after accepting the offer?
              Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by atticus View Post
                2 questions.

1. Was the offer subject to any conditions such as satisfactory references or satisfying them you have the right to work?

2. What did you do after accepting the offer?
                There were no conditions stated, so I'm not sure. They hadn't asked me for any references by that point. I had already proven my right to work by getting my passport scanned.
                After the offer I asked a few more questions of my recruiter re the benefits and was waiting for a reply before signing the contract. Then they pulled the plug.

Comment

What would you have considered the position to be had the answers to your questions not been satisfactory?

I ask as I am concerned that you may not have accepted the offer in law, i.e. that an enforceable contract may not have come into being.
                  Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Well I was still expecting to go ahead with the role, as I had accepted it. I was just querying some contradictory things that had been communicated to me about the benefits (ie bonus), so wanted to clear that up. I would've gone ahead either way, just a mental thing of asking first I suppose.

Why would it not constitute acceptance in law if I accepted it and have proof of that via an email?

Comment

Winding back a step, did you do nothing else after accepting the offer? Were you in employment at the time? If so, did you give notice? What is your present employment status?

Comment

I was in employment and I did give notice, yes. I may be able to have that overturned- it is not decided yet, however, it will have damaged my reputation for sure. Does that matter though? I prob wouldn't pursue anything relating to effects on other employment, unless that was straightforward, just the notice period. Also I'm not sure I'd want to drag anyone such as my manager into it given the already strained relationship. I've just noticed there is a probationary period so it would be only 1 week, not 3 months.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                        See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                        X