• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

To resign or not to resign that is the question!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To resign or not to resign that is the question!

Hey, new to this so hopefully in the right place. I am a teacher so we can resign at 3 points in the year - the next being before October to leave at Xmas. Due to a bad relationship with the head I asked IF he'd be prepared to let me go outside the usual window and leave at the end of August (I asked at the start of June having missed the may 31st cut off). Due to them wanting me gone he said yes he would in the circumstances. He then asked when I was leaving. I asked if I'd be paid til the end of August and he said yes I would be. That was it.

He then emailed last week saying following my email stating my intention to resign he was letting me know my last day is 31st August. And then I got an email from HR saying we got your resignation and good luck etc etc. At no point have I written a letter of resignation and I have no job to go to and cannot support myself. Is my email stating I intended to resign enough? Or can I state that I am have not resigned?

TIA
    Tags: None

Tell the head he has misunderstood you and you have not resigned. You were only exploring your options and have now decided not to resign at this time.

To be a 'notice of resignation' it would have to be a clear statement that you were resigning. You haven't given us the full text of your email but it doesn't appear that was what the email said. Sounds like wishful thinking by a head keen to get rid of you!
    All opinions expressed are based on my personal experience. I am not a lawyer and do not hold any legal qualifications.

Comment

I wonder if the OP's communications with the head went further than s/he thinks (or now wishes).

What does the OP actually want?
      Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

atticus That's a completely fair comment. I fully intended to go (and still do just not yet) - but hadn't actually stated that - but before I'd even confirmed this my replacement was employed. It's part stubbornness to be honest. My email literally says "Following our previous communications around the subject and the possibility of being released early from my contract, in the circumstances and best interests of the children, is this something you are will to consider?" That's it. He said yes. I thanked him. He ask when am I resigning, I asked I if I went at the end of July when am I paid til, he said end of August. He then asked again when am i resigning. I didn't reply. He asked once more. I ignored. Then he emailed to say following our previous communications and me stating my intention to resign.

I was offered another job but hadn't signed the contract yet hence me delaying. I absolutely am going to resign - hence stating my intention to do so. At no point have I confirmed when though. Also is stating an intention to do so in itself enough anyway?

If I go now I have 4 months unpaid. If I go December I don't.

Comment

On that information, it seems the head may have jumped the gun, particularly if you did not reply to his asking when you would be resigning.
          Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Given the situation described one cannot blame the head for doing so. School budgets are tight. A replacement was found. This will be a costly mistake for the school, potentially

Comment

The OP could try the following.

Step 1. Say s/he has not resigned, pointing out the previously mentioned communications.

Step 2. Having hopefully caused some alarm, if no offer has been forthcoming then in about 2 weeks time resign, effective 31 December, and see if s/he can get a pay off to go now.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
              X