• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Hi - Re Tax Codes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi - Re Tax Codes

Good day, I wonder if anyone might know the following: I was Tuped to a company in October 2022 - and since then they seem to have messed around with my tax. In January 2023 I was concerned about my tax so I rang HMRC, after two hours of being on the phone and them trying to work out what had been happening, they said it had all now been sorted - they wrote to my employer and told them to change the tax code in order for my back tax to be claimed (as they had been using the wrong tax code) - they did not comply with HMRC and carried on using the tax code they had been using. I have now been told by HMRC that I owe back tax which will be taken out of my salary up until March 2025. I understand I should have been more on the ball and I have some responsibilities to 'monitor / manage' my own tax, but I have never worked for a company who have not complied with tax codes issued by HMRC and did not operate the tax codes correctly for 8 months (until I stepped in again). They also managed to use a tax code that had never been given to me - have left out numbers on my codes and also managed to switch numbers around (instead of 12 they put 21). The employer is not very helpful and is quite defensive. I feel that I somehow shouldn't have to take all the responsibility of someone not doing their job properly - do I have any stand point on this? Thank you so much for reading this long winded account. Kind regards Bibs (and finally, this is a small family run company - the directors are the parents of the Finance Director who has made all the errors!)
    Tags: None

Sorry to hear about the errors in respect of the company making sure you are on the correct tax code as provided by HMRC. Unfortunately, the only action I can suggest you could take is to raise a grievance about what has happened, although from what you have said about it being a family business, that may not get you anywhere. Certainly, since payment of tax is a requirement of an individual, then although the company can take some responsibility for not ensuring your salary is being processed on the correct tax code, they cannot be responsible for any tax you owe.
    If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
    If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
    See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
    X