• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

probation never confirmed, HR pushing back on notice period

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• probation never confirmed, HR pushing back on notice period

Hi,

I have recently accepted a new position and resigned from my job. HR says I should be giving three months notice instead of one because I have passed my probation. But this was never confirmed to me. My contract references the probation policy, and the policy states there should be a review meeting to sign off the probation period, and the report should be signed by both my line manager and me. I should also receive a letter from HR confirming completion of the probation period. None of this has happened.

If that makes any difference, my probationary period should have ended on 16 June and I gave notice on the 28th.

Can the company enforce the longer notice?
    Tags: None

You can try and push back on them and say that as they have not followed their own probation policy, your probationary period has never been confirmed and that given this you are only contractually obligation to give xxxx (whatever your contract states for someone in their probationary period)
    If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
    If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

Hi,

ULA is the employment expert but if your contract says your probation is subject to the policy and written confirmation of passing, I don't think HR can do anything about it. Have you responded to HR and pointed them to the relevant parts of your contract and asked them to provide a response? I would point out to them that as your contract is very explicit that you only pass probation based on the following steps being completed, then you have not yet passed your probation and the 3-month notice period does not apply.

They may try to argue that it was implied you had passed your probation but given the 12 day period between your probation date and giving notice, I dont think they can. You could arguably say that the delay in the probation meeting could be reasonably interpreted that you may not have passed probation, your probation being extended or worse case, employment terminated.

Also be aware they may try to claim that if you leave before the 3 month period they may deduct your wages for not giving the correct notice. That would most likely be an unlawful deduction of wages on their part if that was the case, which means you may need to take them to court to recover that and any additional losses suffered as a result.

Since this can potentially turn into a dispute, it would be wise of you to keep all further correspondence in writing only with HR moving forward using your personal email if possible as you don't want them deleting emails from your work account and you not having access to that creating any legal dispute difficult on your part.

If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
      - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
      LEGAL DISCLAIMER
      Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by R0b View Post

Also be aware they may try to claim that if you leave before the 3 month period they may deduct your wages for not giving the correct notice. That would most likely be an unlawful deduction of wages on their part if that was the case, which means you may need to take them to court to recover that and any additional losses suffered as a result.
        rob just on this point if the OP for example only works a month of the 3 months notice then the employer is only entitled to pay them for what they work i.e. the month, so no unlawful deduction of wage if they do not work the full notice period.
        If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
        If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

Originally posted by ULA View Post

rob just on this point if the OP for example only works a month of the 3 months notice then the employer is only entitled to pay them for what they work i.e. the month, so no unlawful deduction of wage if they do not work the full notice period.
          Hi Ula,

I agree but maybe I didn't make myself clear as I was suggesting that if the company is claiming that a 3 month period is necessary then they may try to deduct wages to cover any cost or losses for failing to give the correct notice as a breach of contract e.g. hiring a temp on a higher wage, which I am presuming could be up to 100% of the month the OP only worked out as notice and assuming there is a clause in the contract to do that.
          If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
          - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
          LEGAL DISCLAIMER
          Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
          See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
          X