• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Personal Trauma and Impacts on the Workplace

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Personal Trauma and Impacts on the Workplace

England.

Last year my wife who is in her 20s (so am I) had a horrible pregnancy. 3 weeks after we found out she was diagnosed with stage 4 metastatic lung cancer. We also have a 2 year old.

My workplace policy regarding leave is that the primary caregiver gets 3 months full pay off and the secondary caregiver gets 2 weeks full pay off. At the time of the birth, I had already informed my workplace that the pregnancy has been quite difficult, requiring a lot of hospital appointments etc. - my team have a lot of flexibility and fully WFH so this was not an issue but I was still the secondary caregiver at the time.

Obviously due to my wife's health conditions (which we thought would end with the birth), the situation changed and I became the primary caregiver. I requested the full 3 months (I already used my 2 weeks paternity leave and added 2 weeks annual leave so I had 1 week left to return) as I am now the primary caregiver. There was a bit of friction here and it was only until I explicitly stated my wife isn't just ill but has stage 4 lung cancer which prompted them to change it.

After returning to work, I was eased back into my previous tasks. But I have had no meetings with HR regarding my personal situation and how strongly it impacts me. My direct line supervisor barely mentions a word of it unless I prompt it (i.e. I need to go to this appointment etc.), has not even asked how we are (same as HR).

Lately there has been friction between my supervisor and I. I frequently have appointments which come up last minute and on one occasion requested annual leave on the day. I have also used sick leave around 10 times due to mental health and my own health issues.

I've now got what I believe to be a first warning meeting coming up. I feel like the company including my supervisor have shown little empathy for my situation. I want to understand if my company have been taking appropiate measures for my trauma. I totally get I have a lot of flexibility that a lot of people don't but I have the same flexibility as my colleagues. Lately my supervisor has been micromanaging me (which he says he is allergic to) and I have tried to express how deeply this situation affects me - I'm met with messages like "hugs" but that's it.

I recently had a mid-year review which was a strong pass. I've been at my company for just over 2 years now.

Any advice is appreciated.
    Tags: None

Sorry to hear about the health condition of your wife.

You say that you frequently have appointments which I presume are for your health issues can you explain why these tend to be as short notice? General GP and hospital appointments tend to be quite a way in advance these days unless they are an emergency.

Have you actually spoken to HR/your supervisor about the health issues that you have?
    If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
    If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

You're right - some of the appointments are a bit last minute like scans due to demand e.g. being called on the day. For the ones in advance I do give notice. Generally it has not been an issue, my supervisor knows I will work later that day or in the week and it has never been raised as an issue.

I have raised with my supervisor my health conditions... Again "hugs".

I've had the meeting - company is making redundancies. Of my team, I have been there for one of the longest. I'm also one of the few that have been there for 2 years.

I highly doubt they are making redundancies across the board and feel it is related to my personal situation.

They have offered a package to avoid the consultation process and I'm thinking about it.

Comment

Sounds like the company has been flexible in respect of attending appointments but that is supported by the fact that you will make up the time which is a healthy way to manage.

Sorry to hear the company is making redundancies although it sounds like you are sceptical about this.

Is the package they are offering being done by way of a Settlement Agreement?
        If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

It is a settlement agreement. All monies owed + 4 weeks pay tax free.

I am further skeptical because they are paying my notice but would rather I immediately halt work (was in the middle of big changes that I solely own and will have to be picked up).

Comment

So as part of the settlement agreement your employer has to make a contribution towards independent legal advice, given that, my best advice would be to find an employment lawyer. Although I can continue to answer your questions, they are now best to advise you on the situation.

Just to say that you need to also have a copy of your contract available as well as any draft settlement agreement, the employment lawyer will need both documents to advise you.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
            See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
            X