• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

My employer has stopped contacting me…

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My employer has stopped contacting me…

My Employers have stopped contacting me…
    This is a strange one, any advice appreciated.
    I work in an Emergency Service, and have been employed by the same organisation full time since the start of 2009.
    I’ve never had any issues at work before, and have never been issued a written or verbal warning.
    This goes back to the beginning of the Covid years. I was diagnosed in 2017 with Kidney Cancer and related health issues, because of this, and the threat from Covid, it was determined that I should work from home, and started doing so in March 2020.
    The first few months went smoothly, with regular contact from my supervisor who was always attentive and helpful. The supervisor then left the organisation, and was replaced by someone who virtually never contacted me - literally once a month, if that. I will admit that being annoyed at what felt like being ignored, I was not contacting them either.
    Months passed in this way.
    I was then contacted by a different supervisor who told me that I was under investigation by professional standards for not doing my work properly, baring in mind that I had been ignored for months with no commentary on my work at all.
    More months passed.
    I was eventually contacted by the Head of our department. I rebuffed the allegations robustly. I also complained strongly about the supervisors ignoring me completely, and complained at the lack of support. She promised me this would change. Another couple of months passed, she then phoned and said the matter was being dropped, and there would be no further action.
    Yet more months passed. During that time all of our computer systems had changed, and over what was now nearly 3 years, I had become extremely deskilled both in systems, procedures and protocols. I was offered and undertook 4 hours training over Skype, hardly sufficient for an Emergency Service. Nevertheless, I myself arranged (via I.T dept for a new computer to be delivered) - I couldn’t get the system working properly and telephoned the Control Room, they never returned my call. This was in January this year, it is now June and I have not heard from them.
    My salary is paid every month, and I wait daily for a letter from them, as I have been expecting them to make me redundant. Nothing comes. I have not contacted them because I am angry at this constant treatment, and like most people, I am happy to be paid for doing nothing if that is what they wish to do. I have also lost all respect for the organisation and have no goodwill towards them.
    It is now 3 years and 4 months since I was last in the control room, and about 12 months of receiving my salary for doing absolutely nothing. No contact from them since the beginning of January and absolutely no explanation. I firmly believe they will just keep paying my salary unless or until I demand an explanation. If I don’t say anything, I will probably be in the same position this time next year.
    Bare in mind that because of the passing of time, I am now completely deskilled, and would not be able to do my job without complete and total retraining.
    Please offer me advice. Where do I stand? What should I do?
    Thank you.
    Tags: None

Can I ask how close you are to when you would expect to retire on your occupational pension?

And do you have a written record that you contacted the Control Room for help in January when you couldn't get the new computer they'd sent you to work? If not (you say only that you telephoned them) how would you evidence that you had told them if they denied you had contacted them? Did you take a note of the name of the person you spoke to?

Would they have recorded your incoming call? If you have kept a note the date and time of your call would they be able to find a recording of it to prove you told them of the IT problem?

And you haven't followed up in any way?

Whilst it certainly reflects badly on their management competence that they haven't noticed that you haven't connected for 6 months, and their procedures for supervising and supporting home workers are poor, I fear that doing nothing may end up with trouble for you. Internal disciplinary and possible dismissal for Gross Misconduct. Or worse an allegation of fraud and police involvement.

But I'm not an expert on this or a lawyer and I will be interested in ULA 's advice.
    Last edited by PallasAthena; 9th June 2023, 12:58:PM.
    All opinions expressed are based on my personal experience. I am not a lawyer and do not hold any legal qualifications.

Comment

Can I ask if you are a member of a trade union?
      Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

No. I left Unison after 15 years because I didn’t support some of their policies.

Comment

It does sound very much like the situation of you working at home has not been properly supervised and yes that is a problem of management. However, being at home and paid salary for not doing any work is not an acceptable position either. You are in a contractual arrangement where you are paid in return for working for your employer. Not following up your call in Jan, just because they did not call you back is not a good enough reason not to try and contact your employer again.

My first question is now the situation with Covid is vastly improved would you consider returning back to the office or some form of hybrid working?

Secondly, is the issue for you that you now feel deskilled and are worried about the consequences of getting in touch with your employer? If so then you do have a argument back to your employer, on the basis that their lack of management of you whilst you were working at home, as caused this issue.

My view is that you should consider getting in touch with your company by email. Setting out the situation you find yourself in and try to arrange a meeting or call to discuss how you return to a working position.
          If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
          If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

Thank you so much for your response. Very kind of you to take the time. I have successfully resolved this now. My employer has apologised for the mismanagement and I am now back in the workplace full time.

Comment

Another example of how quickly things can be resolved once someone posts here!
              Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Glad to hear that this may be resolved for you.
                If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
                If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                X