• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Misconduct and scope of the investigation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Misconduct and scope of the investigation

Just wondering if someone can help me demystify the subject of the scope of an investigation.

When suspected of misconduct, I am aware that an employee may or may not be suspended to allow for an investigation to take place. Obviously, this investigation may turn up other things that need justifying or explaining and this can be reasonable.

However is there any kind of expected scope or limit to this?

The reason I ask is, I am in this situation and I had a very odd progress update message from my manager saying as part of my investigation they nearly added a new allegation, but he stepped in and stopped it because the new allegation of misconduct was actually minor thing that was actually a business as usual part of my role. My manager actually had to explain to the investigator that this activity is normal for my role, and totally authorised.

Furthermore the new allegation has absolutely nothing in relation to the allegations for which I'm being investigated, and as a result its transpired my entire digital work history as far back as logs allow is being audited, and any minor wrong doing is being passed to my manager to see if it can support a case of gross misconduct. The manager laughed this off as it's like I say, an act I do every day as well as most of my team.

This feels to me more like building a case, not proving the merits of an allegation?

Is this broad a scope normal? ACAS were really vague on it.

I appreciate my own question is vague i've tried not to give too many details for ID reasons - thanks though!

Tags: None

Originally posted by Presonus View Post
    ...any minor wrong doing is being passed to my manager to see if it can support a case of gross misconduct.
    Please correct me if I'm wrong, but you seem to be admitting here that you have, in fact, been involved in what you would term 'minor wrongdoing'. That being the case, your complaint is that you don't think an investigation into allegations of more serious wrongdoing should encompass the other things that you appear to freely admit you've been involved in?

Why on earth not? Gross Misconduct doesn't need to be a single event, it can be the result of a cumulative series of events which, taken together, meet a threshold your employer considers Gross Misconduct. In fact, the more you're found to have been involved in (for want of a better expression), the more confident I would imagine your employer will feel in taking action.

Comment

Not a problem I'll correct you.

There is no admission, or indeed knowledge of wrongdoing on my part, but - and I don't want to state too much in a public capacity, what has become evident is that the company is doing a full audit on my activity. This has stalled the investigation because my manager has found out that I've been accused of further seperate acts of misconduct that are part of the normal routine part of my job, but my manager has had to actively step in and stop these being added as formal allegations because management above him wanted them adding. These further allegations relate to me holding and acceessing sensitive information - for which is required for my role.

The question I have is, and it might have no clearcut answer, but is there any kind of guidance in what an investigation should include when investigating a specific conduct, because this suggests in my case at least that someone with no idea of what my role remit is is just compiling a list of anything that can be thrown, and whilst the original allegation will be challenged, the investigation at the moment doesn't seem to be finding the facts about, rather just a dumpster dive to dig up anything that be dug up.

The risk here is I'm going to have to defend myself against a list of irrelevent allegations to the core issue, it's a bit like being accused of theft from the workplace but when you go into the hearing you get told you forgot to put your gear away six months ago, and it was now misconduct.

Comment

Originally posted by theberenger View Post

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but you seem to be admitting here that you have, in fact, been involved in what you would term 'minor wrongdoing'. That being the case, your complaint is that you don't think an investigation into allegations of more serious wrongdoing should encompass the other things that you appear to freely admit you've been involved in?

Why on earth not? Gross Misconduct doesn't need to be a single event, it can be the result of a cumulative series of events which, taken together, meet a threshold your employer considers Gross Misconduct. In fact, the more you're found to have been involved in (for want of a better expression), the more confident I would imagine your employer will feel in taking action.
        No worries, happy to correct.

It's a fairly complex situation, but I do not beleive I have done anything wrong and intend to challenge the allegation given to me initially. But what has happened since as part of the investigation, and this has currently stalled the process, is the investigator attempted to add a number of allegations to what is going to be asked to be justified at the disciplinary. These have caused some concern my side because a) they are not the sort of activities that would be seen when collecting evidence for the allegations raised b) the new allegations are not actually against any known policy and c) the new allegation is for undertaking actions that are actually core responsibilities of my role, though I've been told they want to push it through. I suspect the investigator does not know what my job actually is.

It will be easy enough to challenge (presuming the process is fair?) but I was just interested in whether there was any guidance regarding the scope of investigations and whether they can be broader and pull back irrelevencies than an allegation merits to the point where it actualy starts to do harm. As funny as it may be, I don't really have much appetite at this stressful time to explain to a hearing that yeah, the reason for having sensitive data on my PC at the time of suspension, was because my job involves handling that sensitive data as that is basically what I do full time all day every day.

It may be that an employer can raise any issues they like in order to support misconduct, even if it's a scattergun affair - but I would have thought there would be some guidance on this as it would allow for investigations to be taken in a bad faith or malicious nature (i.e use an allegation to justify a search for anything whatsoever that could be used to acheive a disciplinary objective)
        Last edited by Presonus; 5th June 2023, 12:35:PM.

Comment

An investigation usual commences because of an allegation of misconduct or gross misconduct and can result in suspension particularly in the case of a gross misconduct allegation..

It may happen that during the course of that investigation other things "come to light" which may or may not be considered a misconduct or gross misconduct issue and may then form part of the initial investigation. It would then be up to the investigator to consider whether these form part of any disciplinary action that might be taken. However these would need to be set out with any evidence at the time you might be asked to attend a disciplinary hearing.
          If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
          If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

Thanks ULA that's helpful and in line with research I've conducted with regards to disciplinary procedures and policies I've been given. *note - I am NOT informed in this area hence being here*

Comment

You are welcome and anything else we can do to advise as you go through this process, then please just come back to this thread.
              If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
              If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
              X