• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Automatic Unfair Dismissal - advice and support appreciated

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Automatic Unfair Dismissal - advice and support appreciated

Hi Legal Beagles,

I'm looking for advice about a sticky work situation I've found myself in. My contract was terminated during a 6 month probation review meeting on Thursday with one week's notice after returning from GP prescribed sick leave for 2 weeks (10 work days) due to depression and anxiety.

Before I was off sick, I was bullied by a colleague and an incident occurred where I left my shift early due to feeling unsafe and triggered by a verbally aggressive confrontation from her including shouting at me which caused anxiety. No managers were on site at the time so I called HR to explain that I had left early and what had occurred, and they later emailed me requesting more info, which I provided, but they never replied or investigated the incident and told me that I can raise a grievance procedure about this to be investigated (just before they sacked me).
    ​​​​​​
    I received the invite to the probationary review meeting to my personal email address while I was signed off on sick leave due to anxiety and depression. It said that the meeting would review my performance and address two concerns; around leaving my shift early on two occasions 'when you felt you were unable to manage your emotions' was their wording (I left my shift 20 minutes early back in February due to illness and management weren't present to authorise the absence, and the incident where I left after the aggressive encounter from a colleague); and regarding absence levels (prior to this occasion, I had been signed off for 10 days (7 work days) due to anxiety and depression in February). The invite also said that the meeting would result in extension of my probationary period or termination of employment.

I attended the meeting on Thursday and asked why I hadn't received a response to my report of bullying at work and why it hadn't been considered in my reason for leaving if it were to be raised as a concern that affects probation and has also impacted my mental health and absence, and why it hadn't been investigated, and HR said they couldn't respond due to staff leave and that I could still raise a grievance statement about what they described as a 'complaint'. At the start of the meeting, my manager outlined that I had met KPIs, forged good working relationships with clients, completed all mandatory and much optional training and development courses etc which means there was no issues with my performance or ability to carry out everyday work tasks as a reason to terminate my employment.

I meet disability criteria for long term depression, anxiety and emotional instability personality disorder and my work are aware of these illnesses, and my GP has prescribed absence due to work-related mental health as a result of a situation with a colleague that I deemed to be a risk to my health and safety, and which triggered exacerbation of mental illness. I left work due to this and reported the incident and reason for absence to HR, and instead if
    Tags: None

Oops it cut me off and I can't figure out how to edit to add further detail - but hopefully you get the point and can help! Basically, I feel that the dismissal could be considered automatically unfair due to disability discrimination under Equality Act 2010 re: leave and absence, but also health and safety under section 100 of the Employment Rights Act 1996 which says that employees should not face detriment or dismissal for leaving work pertaining to an event which is perceived to be a serious/imminent threat to health and safety of the employee (in my case mental illness triggered by bullying).

My initial plan is to submit a grievance to my employer raising that I feel the dismissal was automatically unfair and discriminatory - should I request a settlement figure within the grievance or should that happen separately/down the line? If so, how much? I was thinking 3 months gross pay, or maybe 4 to start high with aim of 3.

I plan to call ACAS on Tuesday for advice but I think I only have until Thursday to submit my grievance re: dismissal as HR said I have 7 days to do this following dismissal, however I haven't received written confirmation of dismissal yet.

I can't afford legal advice but am seeing if I am entitled to any free advice seeing as I will very soon have no income.

Any experience or advice around this specific issue and how to proceed would be much appreciated! Thank you for reading

Comment

The first stage would be for you to appeal your dismissal as you have set out including the fact that a "complaint" which was very clearly a grievance was not properly investigated.

by all means contact ACAS, however you do need to ensure that you carry on and completed the internal process, that is raised your appeal, have that heard and then outcome provided.
      If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
      If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

Hi ULA

Thank you does that mean I shouldn't mention a settlement in my original appeal?

Comment

I think you need to clearly set out that you have really solid proof to pursue such a claim before you start to discuss settlement. It may form part of your appeal hearing meeting.
          If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

Okay thank you. I audio recorded the meeting where they dismissed me but of course they don't know that. Is that strong evidence or would it backfire that I covertly recorded the meeting?

Comment

I obviously do not know what policies your company has in place regarding recording of conversation in the workplace. However there is the potential it could amount to disciplinary action being taken against you.

Comment

Right okay. Are they able to issue disciplinary proceedings if they have already terminated my contract with a weeks notice though?

Comment

Potentially they do not have enough time, if you are leaving this week, to have a disciplinary hearing. If there was longer on your notice they could hold a disciplinary deem it gross misconduct and summarily dismiss you without having to pay you notice.

Again I add this is what could potentially occur but without knowing any of your company's policies it is difficult to say.

Comment

Hi ULA,

Sadly I am now at ET stage and am working on submitting my application. I'm finding it very difficult to summarise the key points for my application (very much struggling to focus due to a MH crisis) and wondered if you know of any guides on ET forms on the forum that I could use?

Thanks,

Spell Singer

Comment

I presume that section 1-7 are all ok when you say you are struggling to complete the ET1 as these ask you to provide details about you, your employer, and the nature of your employment relationship.

Therefore I am guessing it is sections 8 & 9.

Section 8

8.1 Is where you confirm what type of claim you are making, which given you I presume have been dismissed and you have less than 2 years' service you are making an automatically unfair dismissal claim

8.2 This is where you give the background and details of why you are making your claim. As there is not a lot of space on the page for this, a lot of people attach a separate document to the form which is called the Particulars of Claim (PoC).

You need to set this out in chronological order, sticking to the key points which are trying to prove your claim. Given your length of service you will need to prove a) that you are disabled under the definition of the Equality Act 2010 and that your employer was aware of this and b) that you were dismissed because of this.

Section 9

9.1 This is about the remedy that you want and you need to tick the appropriate box.

9.2 This is where you need to set the amount of compensation you are looking for and the detail of how you have come to this calculation. This is sometimes known as a Schedule of Loss (SoL)

Section 10

This is not relevant to your claim as you are not making a protected disclosure that I am aware of from your posts

Section 11

If you are representing yourself then this does not need to be completed

The remainder of the form is quite straightforward to complete.

​​​​​​​Hope that helps.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                      See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                      X