• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Gross Misconduct

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gross Misconduct

Hello all,

I have found myself here for the first time, and cannot find similar cases to mine. So hopefully I could get some advice. I will try to keep it short and accurate.

- I have been accused of gross misconduct.
    - It has been alleged that I have received overpayments in wages over the course of a 3 years
    - I have been with my company for over 15 years.
    - I have had no previous misconduct cases against me.
    - I was being paid ‘extra’ in a previous role
    - The company claim I was moved to a role that would pay less.
    - There is no emails or new contract that I was sent to suggest this
    - Managers claim that I was told this verbally. I was not.
    - My contract was to work X hours a week, and I have continued to do so over the 3 years.
    - If I was to work to the lesser role, I should have been working Y (less) hours.
    - They are claiming I have failed to declare overpayments. But I did not believe I was in a lesser role, as I had recieved no email or new contract to suggest this.
    Tags: None

If your employer overpays your wages that is their error. They may be able to reclaim the overpayment from you, but not in all circumstances.

Search online for "can employer recover overpaid wages" and there are lots of legal sites that explain the law on this.

But Gross Misconduct by you when it is their error? I've never never come acros that before.

Are you in a union? They will be able to help you.

Is there anything in your contract of employment or employee handbook that deals with overpayment of wages?

Employers are required to confirm any changes in your job role or your hours or your wages in writing. Did they? If not their Gross Misconduct allegation is illogical. How could you declare overpayment if they hadn't told you, formally in writing, that your pay had changed?
    Last edited by PallasAthena; 27th May 2023, 11:26:AM.
    All opinions expressed are based on my personal experience. I am not a lawyer and do not hold any legal qualifications.

Comment

I am not part of a union. I have no issue with them reclaiming the money if it is mistake. My issue is that they believe that I have been dishonest and not told them about it. I genuinely believed I was on my previous contract, as I had received nothing to suggest I was on new terms and conditions. This was all kept between management. If they had told me then I would have taken steps to address it.

Comment

Is there anything in your contract of employment or employee handbook that deals with overpayment of wages?
        All opinions expressed are based on my personal experience. I am not a lawyer and do not hold any legal qualifications.

Comment

At the moment they've stated Gross Misconduct, so it looks like they are still investigating the matter.

https://www.acas.org.uk/check-if-you...rom-your-wages

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
          See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
          X