• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Told to do a different job...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Told to do a different job...

Hi there, hope you can help.

I work as an audit consultant for quite a big company in Scotland. I've worked here for over 2 years.

Recently, there has been a change of Operations Manager, and he's making quite a lot of changes that I don't really like. My job is to do financial accounts for the clients of the company - I keep in regular touch with them and manage their financial audits. The new Operations Manager wants to give us sales KPIs, which is really weird. I've never done sales before and I don't feel as though I'm qualified - wants me to go to networking events as part of my role and bring on new clients? I'm not really comfortable with this - I'm quite introverted (that's why I'm in finance), and its just totally different to what my job is, and its totally not why I spent 4 years at university studying finance.

Is there anything I can do or do I just need to resign and find a new job? I just feel like this isn't what I signed up for.
    Last edited by WendyHouse97; 12th May 2023, 10:24:AM.
    Tags: None

What does your contract of employment say?

Comment

paulajayne - just that I'm employed as an audit consultant and that I'll perform the duties of an audit consultant. I can't imagine sales KPIs ever being part of an audit consultant's job.

Comment

You need to stand your ground and state that his request is not in your terms and conditions of employment and also not in your skill set. Perhaps speak to your HR department.

Comment

I would also check your job description
          If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
          If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

Whatever your contract says, your new manager may have expectations and demands that you are not comfortable with. You may need to seek a new job and move on at a time of your choosing.
            Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Hi there, hope you can help.

Last week, I posted about how my new Operations Manager is bringing in sales targets for the finance team at my company, which includes me. I'm an audit consultant - I'm probably the farthest thing away from sales as you can imagine, but the Operations Manager wants the team to start cold calling and going to networking events to "plug a hole".

I've worked for the company for over 2 years, and I hate the idea of sales. My job is finance and audit - that's what I went to university to study for, for years!

So, I've made my objections known to the Operations Manager, and he's proceeded to make my job impossible to do - presumably to force me to resign. I spend around about 80% of my time using 2 systems: FreeAgent for invoice processing, and Excel for just about everything else. My manager has removed my access to both systems, citing "cost cutting", and reducing the number of licences, although as far as I can tell, out of the 8 of us in the department, I'm the only one to have had my licences and access removed.

The upshot of this, is that my clients are now making complaints into my inbox, which is a step towards disciplinary action, according to the company handbook.

I've spoken to the Operations Manager about this, and he says I "just need to do what I can with limited resources" and "if I can't make it happen, then we'll just need to assess my performance in line with the rest of the team".

I've considered whether this could be constructive dismissal, but I don't think it is, because the change doesn't affect my "terms" within my contract. It's the content of my job, which is non contractual. And we don't have job descriptions.

Is there anything I can do at all?
              Last edited by WendyHouse97; 15th May 2023, 13:51:PM.

Comment

Keep a diary, dates / times, note down what happened, since you've spoken to him informally, you can raise the matter with HR / Directors? You could raise a formal grievance in writing, HR / Directors arranges a meeting to address your grievances with the Operations Manager. See how you get on, then you have other options.

'I've never done sales before and I don't feel as though I'm qualified - wants me to go to networking events as part of my role and bring on new clients? I'm not really comfortable with this - I'm quite introverted (that's why I'm in finance), and its just totally different to what my job is, and its totally not why I spent 4 years at university studying finance.'

I totally get this, if anyone has watched The Apprentice, the number of times, candidates say 'I'm not comfortable with Sales' from other backgrounds.

It could be 'detrimental' to the business, you can't do what you are meant to be doing and you can't sell.

No doubt ULA will advise.

Comment

WendyHouse97 I have merged your two threads to make it easier for those of us advising you. We appreciate everything being on one thread, with all the necessary detail, rather than starting a new thread for each question you have on the same issue.

Over time there may be a need for organisations to adapt and redefine roles, either based on business needs or new managers who may have been brought in to facilitate change. That said, since you feel you are being asked to do work you have not had training in and do not feel comfortable doing, then you should speak with the Operations Manager and or HR. I would suggest on an informal basis first and see what happens. Depending what happens you may need to consider a more formal approach as detailed by echat11 in post #8.

If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
                  If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

Their choice is either to make you redundant or provide an opportunity to work for them in an alternate capacity. They are choosing the second alternative at the moment.

Redundancy need not be expensive.

Comment

In general when new management takeover, they want to make a quick impression.
                      It has it's positives / negatives, good management is the ability / skill to get people on board to share your vision.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                      See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                      X