• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Job application help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Job application help

Hi

This firstly is a past tense problem I have been for my interview failed it and didn't get offered the job.

So I'm currently a night shift weekend worker my hours are the following 18:00pm-06:00am Fri, Sat, Sun. the company runs 24 hours every day
    I applied for an internal position within the same area that I currently work, one of the hiring managers (there were 4 in total) for the position is currently my boss's boss.

I got through to the interview stage and was contacted by HR who told me my interview time was on a Monday morning 10:00am (4 hours after my normal shift)
    I explained my situation and that if I attended that interview I would have been on site a total of 16 hours (no point in driving 40 mins home)
    HR response was that no other interview times were being offered.

I contacted my boss's boss and asked if I could at least come in later on my Sunday shift to finish at the time of the interview he agreed and said do you want me to see if I can get it rearranged? my response was well HR just told me it was the only one available, I should be ok I guess? (thinking back I should have said yes to this but it wasn't a I'll get that changed so just felt like I was being an inconvenience).

Day of interview I had been awake since 2pm Sunday as my body clock just wasn't ready to go back to sleep, interview ran 1 hour late to 11:00am and finished around 12:30/13:00.
    During each interview I said I've been awake X amount of hours just got a smile.
    To rub salt even more a college who works with my department shift started 07:00am on that Monday and his interview was at 08:00am

I was obviously knackered and interview didn't go well.
    My question is should they have done this different? should someone have noticed and stopped it happening? should I have had to be the person to challenge this?
    Asking this question to other managers within my company each say that previously they have sent the person home at midnight to allow them time to recoup when similar things have happened in the past.

Have I been done a bit dirty on this one?
    Tags: None

There might be an employment law perspective to this that you'll need to wait for a more knowledgeable contributor to detail for you, but trying to think about the situation objectively, and from the perspective of the employer, I struggle to see how it's possible to reverse the decision now.

For example, if they asked you a question about some kind of procedure or process and you couldn't answer adequately, are they to assume that your effectiveness in your new role, or even your safety at work, would be impacted at the end of your shift? They would expect you to be able to answer a question like that, from memory, pretty much regardless of how tired you were.

But that's just me speculating. Why did you feel the interview went badly, and did they give you any feedback?

Comment

It sounds like from what you have said you were given a late start on your Sunday shift to coincide with it ending just before your interview time, I would say the company was accommodating to the situation albeit not in the way you had maybe hoped for.

The point theberenger has made about getting some feedback I think would be useful to see what the reason was for you not being successful.
      If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
      If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
      See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
      X