• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Urgent help needed - Apprenticeship contract

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Urgent help needed - Apprenticeship contract

Hi,

Im new to all this so not sure if ive posted in the correct section, apologies in advance

Im currently employed as an apprentice in the constuction sector (since 2019), however I qualified in june 2021. The main issue I have is that I have been on an apprenticeship contract, the first of which was may 2019 to april 2021, as i was still in college my contract was extended for 12 months (April 2022) but my pay has stayed the same since finishing college. I was promised an 'improvers wage' when i had finished college mid june 2021, but this never happened and it seemed like the managers just passed the buck with my pay saying it should of been the other manager to sort it etc.

In march 2022 when my contract was due to run out i was promised a £2400 pay rise in my next contract. I was told to sign the new contract asap to get the pay rise in my next pay. I signed the contract as i felt i was going to be unemployed if i didnt sign it. After checking the contract i realised it was another 12 month apprenticeship contract, which stated that i had to do lots of things like 20 hours a week in college, assessments exams etc, I didnt think this was right as i was fully qualified since june 2021, but was told by 2 colleagues that i was lucky to have a job and basically stop moaning about it. My next pay didnt show any pay rise so i waited til the pay after, which again showed no increase in wages. I phoned my boss to ask why this has happened only to be told that 'its not going to be a quick fix' and wont happen overnight. I was waiting months and months for anything to happen just to be fobbed off all the time. Lots of colleagues regularly asked me if my pay/contract has been sorted out yet, which started to have a bad impact on my mental health. In early Jan 2023 i was again promised another pay rise, but this time a much better one, and told by my boss that i had to stop being miserable and get on with it. The pressure that my colleagues put on me after being told this was too much for me and I got signed off from the doctors as all i was thinking is here we are again with broken promises etc.

I have been signed off sick with depression since Jan 2023 and my contract is due to end next week April 2023 and have been getting pressure from my boss about when am i coming back, and yesterday sat 22nd april i received a letter from work stating that i need to come in this tuesday 25th april at 8am for a meeting regarding my contract and what to do next. I can have a colleague or a trade rep present but feel I have had no time to prepare for this, and no contact from any colleagues since ive been off sick, so i dont have much trust in them. My mental state is pretty bad because of all this mess and seems like they just want to brush it all under the carpet.

Sorry for the long post i have kept it as short as possible

Any advice or recommendations would be very much appreciated

Many thanks
    Tags: None

Can I just ask given what has happened in respect of the apparent broken promises and the fact you have been off for nearly 4 months, what outcome would you like to achieve?
    If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
    If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

Hi ULA thank you very much for replying

I'm really not sure how to go about things, im not clued up at all on these sort of things

I would like to think there may be a claim of some sort, maybe the money that was promised dated back to when i should of received it, i dont know emotional distress for giving me a wrong contract, which lots of people have said its illegal? Im just really not sure

Many thanks

Comment

I am not sure if you went to the meeting today if you did can you provide an update and then I can reply based on what took place today.
        If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

Thanks ULA i didnt go to the meeting yesterday as i felt there wasnt enough time to sort out a decent representative or a colleague that i could trust. I messaged the manager to say i wouldnt be able to make it but got no reply. Communication is very poor in this company

Thank you for replying

Comment

My concern for you is that you have nothing in writing in respect of the various pay increases you have been promised.

I would suggest that you email the company today or at least early tomorrow and set out the issues that you have in regard to your salary since June 2021. Details what you were told would happen with your salary and when you were told this and by whom. Explain that this has caused a detrimental impact on your health since Jan and that you feel that the issue has not been taken seriously by the company. If you want then you could ask them to consider this as a formal grievance about the situation you find yourself in regarding your salary.

Comment

Many Thanks ULA I will keep you udated on this when I find out more

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
              X