• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Disciplinary Advice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disciplinary Advice

I’ve been called into a disciplinary hearing at work for the following alleged reasons:
    1. Unreasonable / unacceptable conduct
    2. Engaging in activities that could bring my workplace into disrepute.
    The allegations against me are that an anonymous witness reported that I made a derogatory comment outside the workplace (in another setting) about a client. I know this to be untrue and have said as such, however, I have still been called into a hearing in my line manager’s words “on the balance of probabilities” that a conversation took place. I know a conversation never took place but I have no idea how to defend myself against an anonymous “witness” of who the actual complainant is delivering accusations third hand.
    If there is no actual evidence /proof either side, I am unsure of how I defend myself.
    I would like to ask whether I can actually be called into a disciplinary on here say if the witness wishes to remain anonymous and also how can I defend myself on such information?
    many thanks?
    Tags: None

You turn up, and say just what you have said here. Your deniai is just as much evidence as is an anonymous assertion.

Comment

Thank you for your quick response.
      Do I have a legal right to know who has made the allegation against me in order to defend myself?
      many thanks,

Comment

Also don’t get caught up in the it’s their word against mine. I’ve seen it to much where people fail to defend themselves properly because they assume one person can’t be believed over another.

Comment

In response to Shandylou post #3 there is no legal requirement for a witness to provide their identity, however f they do not do so, it could undermine the person's right to challenge the evidence which has been presented against them in any disciplinary process.

If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
          If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

Originally posted by Shandylou View Post
            Thank you for your quick response.
            Do I have a legal right to know who has made the allegation against me in order to defend myself?
            many thanks,
            Anonymous can mean they have been provided with a witness statement but the person refused to give their name ,or your employer has decided it would not be right to disclose their identity to you for various reasons.

In answer to your question ,you don’t have the right to know their name

Even if the identity of the complainant is known to your employer they do not have to provide you with their name or any information from the complaint which could allow you to identify them, which could mean large chunks of any witness statement being redacted .

They may need to justify their actions if it got to tribunal but it’ often happens in conduct cases for information which could lead to the identity of a witness or complainant to be hidden . I’ve done it on a number of occasions . Obviously there needs to be a reason and they should note why the detail is hidden .

it’s down to your employer in such circumstances to act professional and until they have heard both sides not to jump to conclusions.
            Last edited by Ukmicky; 12th April 2023, 21:44:PM.

Comment

Am I able to put in for a FOI request for communications prior to the investigation?

Comment

I think you possibly mean a Subject Access Request (SAR) rather than an FOI as that is when an individual requests information from public authorities.

Yes you can put in an SAR in respect of your own personal data do this by emailing your employer and in the subject line make it clear it is an SAR. Then you need to set out what you are requiring them to provide and you should be specific about these details.

Your employer has up to one month from receiving the request to provide the information but they can extend the time to respond by a further two months if the request is complex.
                If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

Originally posted by Shandylou View Post
                  Am I able to put in for a FOI request for communications prior to the investigation?
                  what communications

If that request is for your own personal data then yes , if it so you can gain details of your work related activities then no.

Comment

What was the outcome of the disciplinary hearing, have you ended up with a verbal warning or any kind of written warning, I think it's a bit unfair that you will be hard pushed to defend yourself, not knowing who made the accusations, and when

Comment

I unfortunately got a final written warning of which I’ve appealed and am awaiting the outcome. They used the balance of probabilities that something happened even though they couldn’t prove that it happened and had no evidence. I also felt I couldn’t defend myself because the event never happened. I now don’t feel I am trusted or valued as they have chosen to take a clients word over mine.

Comment

With regards to a SAR, do I have to request all personal information about me or can I request emails from a specific person? I’m asking because in the evidence I was sent prior to my hearing, I was only given the email trail with the complainants emails and not the responses ofy employer. The emails also do not show any proof of correspondence from my employer to show any follow up with the complainant following my responses to the complaint. I have a belief that my employer did not get in contact with the complainant again following their initial complaint.

Comment

In your SAR request you need to be very specific about the information you are wanting to obtain. You may want to include your personnel file, emails between ‘person A’ and ‘person B’ (from xxx date to yyy date), emails between [employer's name] and person X (from xxx date to yyy date) etc .

A useful link below to the ICO website about what information to include in an SAR

https://ico.org.uk/for-the-public/yo...ccess-request/

Comment

Do you really want to stoke the fire further.

They have a legal exemption which allows them not to comply with any request if it means disclosing information which identifies another individual,

They also do not have to provide any work related data like emails to clients.

Also if there was a need to contact the complainant again , that could have been done verbally.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                            See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                            X