• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Pregnancy and gender pay discrimination

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pregnancy and gender pay discrimination

I need help/opinions, has anyone experienced this before?

I work from home for a finance company. I had my first baby in 2021. When I was 7 weeks pregnant I was suffering so much with severe sickness. I informed my Team Leader and my Manager right away that I was pregnant and really suffering with bad sickness and nausea. I said that I would work in between being sick. I was doing a lot of the team leader duties for my team although was a senior analyst not a team leader. The sickness was awful, I explained to 2 of the analysts that I was just ill but working in between being sick however the other senior was available to help if I wasn't there. All of a sudden my team leader was telling me that he suspected I wasn't as Ill as I was saying and I was to let him know everytime I was about to go away to be sick. I felt this a strange request for someone who was pregnant and suffering from severe sickness. At this point I was stressed and upset and didn't feel supported. My sister worked at the same company for another team and she was also pregnant and being sick. I spoke to her about how I was being treated and, she said her team leader had said to her to take it easy, only work if she could. I raised it with the next person above my team leader who was the manager and her respone was that I can't compare myself to my sister as she is not a team leader and is not needed as much as me, I said but I am pregnant and I can't function with the sickness, I am trying to work inbetween so as not to leave the team without support but it's draining me and I feel really stressed that I can't simply be pregnant and have time to be sick. Anyway, I ended up in hospital with hyperemisis on drips etc. I barely ate or drank because of the sickness and was dehydrated. When I returned to work after weeks off being sick, the team had made so many mistakes and blamed me because I left them to deal with the work at the time I wasn't a team leader I was just helping out run the team. I have since found out that 2 of the men in the team(analysts below me) have been paid more than me, while doing the bare mimimum. I was put under extreme stress while pregnant, and on less money than 2 of the workers for 4 years. It doesn't seem right that I couldn't even be sick due to pregnancy and the 2 guys who were paid more than me couldn't cope.
    Fast forward 2 years, I am pregnant again, due in a couple of months, I have really bad Pelvicgpain, and sitting at my desk makes it worse. I have been off for months and on crutches. Well I got an email from HR to say that I was going onto halfpay and my sickness this time is counting towards my sickleave. I emailed back explaining that it was pregnancy related and my Gp had put that on my sickline. They still haven't said that this won't count against my sickleave even after me explaining it was pregnancy related. I am having panic attacks through this and it's adding stress onto my pregnancy.
    It just doesn't feel like I have been treated fairly over the last few years during my pregnancies. I also feel really resentful that the 2 gents in my team were paid more than me and I was given so much more work and responsibilities to do. I was the one training them, checking their work, setting team goals, all duties for the team leader. They literally sat back and let me do most of it knowing I was burnt out.
    I would be grateful for any opinions. I want to leave my job now due to the stress and anxiety, even giving up mat pay just to get away.
    Tags: None

Have you spoken to anyone in HR or more senior management at any time about how you have been treated during your pregnancies?

If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
    If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
    See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
    X