• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Settlement agreement

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Settlement agreement

I have been offered voluntary redundancy from my public sector employer and they have said that it is under the provisio of a settlement agreement. They have advised 2 companies that they work with quite closely to get independent financial advice from however this unsettles me as if they are independent why have they already been put in place by the organisation. What does anybody else think?. They have also offered £350 towards people getting their own independent financial advice. Is this the going rate and does anybody have any suggestions?
    Tags: None

Independent legal advice I mean on the settlement agreement.

Comment

Can you not contact another solicitor of your choosing?
      Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

You can choose who you want to be your independent employment law adviser for signing the adviser's certificate. The going rate is around £350 to £500 depending how how much toing and froing there is between your adviser and your employer or their representative. If the the £350 does not cover your adviser they would normally try to get the contribution from your employer increased but if they do not agree to this they you would be liable for the difference.
        If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
        If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

Yes they have stated you can get your own but they have said they will only pay the £350 and I need to make adviser aware. They have also not provided a figure yet just a calculator based on years of service and salary. They have also said as it is voluntary you will have to pay your salary sacrifice lease car termination fee which is excessive. They have also put a clawback of payment if you return to another public sector organisation within 6 months but haven't stated what this figure would be but just quoted a sliding scale with no calculation. Personally feel this is a bit harsh given that for the whole of my working career 20 years plus has been public sector and this is where my skill set lies. Any suggestions on good advisors would be great thanks

Comment

Just to add I had left my prev organisation of 10 years because after five acquisitions of organisations I was burnt out and needed a fresh start I wasn't told at interview that the new organisation was about to be merged with another organisation so I signed up to a 3 year salary sacrifice car as I had no vehicle only later to find out they want to reduce the organisation by 40% I couldn't face another reorg so I have applied for the vr as compulsory will follow

Comment

The process would be that a draft Settlement Agreement (SA) would have to be drawn up and provided to you as without that and a copy of your contract of employment any good employment law adviser should not take on your work until they are available, they need that as a starting point. In terms of an employment law adviser if you want to go with one not recommended by your employer then as the forum we do not provide recommendations, however you can go to our sister sister JustBeagle - Welcome which details law firms in England and Wales which you can search on by legal area.

Part of the job of the adviser is to ensure that the "compensation" being offered is at the correct level given the circumstances and the rights that you are giving up to bring any further claims. If they do not feel you are being offered enough "compensation" then they would have to negotiate the terms on your behalf with your employer.

Given your employer, I would suspect that they have negotiated good terms with a law firm to provider advice to employees on an SA. That said you would be their client not the employer so they have a duty to act in your best interests.
              If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
              If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
              X