• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Unfair HMRC Self Assessment fine for PAYE employee from 2018

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unfair HMRC Self Assessment fine for PAYE employee from 2018

Hello,

Hoping someone can help me with the below.

in summary I am being fined £600 for a tax underpayment of £80 from 2018, which I wasn’t informed of until 2022. I have appealed but due to backlogs my self assessment and appeal hasn’t been processed for 4 months, and now the money is being taken out of my wages. I would like to appeal again on the basis of the fine being unfair, and for unfair treatment really. I was a PAYE employee and had no way of knowing that my company underpaid tax. For the sake of £80 from 5 years ago, this all seems very unfair.

I wondered if I have a leg to stand on and if there’s any specific legal wording I could include in my claim.

in August 2022 I received a letter from HMRC to say I owe £600 in fines for not completing a self-assessment(SA) tax return in 2018. I was a PAYE employee in 2018 and so I actually thought this was a scam.

After speaking with HMRC I was told it was for an underpayment of £80 back in 2018, and that they couldn’t tell me how, or why I would’ve needed to complete an SA as a full-time PAYE employee. They told me I had to complete a self assessment for 2018 and write an appeal if I don’t agree.

In September I completed my self assessment, having to get hold of what documents I could from 2018. I also wrote an appeal.

In November i received another letter to say that I still owe £600 fines and it accused me of not contacting them regarding this issue, or completing a tax return or SA. I rang them immediately after having to convince them to check their system they told me that they had received my paperwork but it hadn’t been assessed, and the wait time is up to 12 weeks or something. I asked if, in the meantime could you stop the interest and they replied that the only thing they could do was stop the threatening letters.

in December i recieved another threatening letter to say that because I had not contacted them the fine could be taken out of my salary and my tax code would be changed. On December 21st, 4 days before Christmas they took £100 from my pay, 10% of my monthly wages.

So I phoned again and argued that it is unfair to take ua non means-tested amount from my pay, 4 days before Christmas especially as I am appealing the claim. they responded that there was nothing they could do, and that the appeals team will not deal with my appeal until the self assessment had been processed, and that it won’t be processed until end of January at the latest.

So it looks like I will have 2 payments taken out of my wages before my case is even looked at.
    Tags: fines, hmrc, paye

Have you asked you employer whether they have had to deduct this from your salary as a result of an Attachment of Earning Order (AEO) from HMRC? In which case they would have had not choice as they could face prosecution for not complying with the AEO.
    If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
    If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

Unfortunately the company I worked for in 2018 went bankrupt in 2022. Making the fine even more irrelevant and preposterous

Comment

You refer in your original post to your pay being deducted 4 days before Christmas, to which I presume you are employed by a company? It would be this company that have potentially been given an AEO to deduct what is owing to HMRC.
        If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
        If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
        See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
        X