• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Settlement offer where there is no grievance

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Settlement offer where there is no grievance

My husband has been 'suspended' from work and given a solicitor letter with a settlement agreement to end his employment. He has not had a disciplinary. There is no formal grievance. Is the suspension unreasonable? He is receiving full pay. No info given on why they want to end his employment or why he is suspended.
    Tags: None

Just some initial questions:

1. Has there been anything that has happened recently with your husband and his employer such as a disagreement even if there has not been a disciplinary or grievance?

2. Has your husband had any formal (written) confirmation of his suspension?

3. Has a reason for the termination been detailed in the Settlement Agreement (SA)?

4. Does the SA allow for your husband to take independent legal advise with a cost given that the employer will contribute towards?

5. How long has he been employed at the company?
    If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
    If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

1. He asked for a review regarding his probation. This was not actioned.
      2. Letter saying not required to attend work while considering their SA. No other reason given.
      3. The boss does not invite open communication with employees. My husband needed to know how he was doing as no reviews at all in the 6 month probation. Extended for 3 months due to being unwell with Covid. Seemed excessive so he sought clarification. They did not like this!
      4. Yes they will get pay for legal advice.
      5. 7 months.
      My question is, is the suspension unreasonable? He hates being off work. From his perspective there was no disagreement when the SA was given. Thanks in advance

Comment

In answer to your question It is not unreasonable for an employer to require an employee not to attend work whilst an SA is being discussed/negotiated and they are correctly continuing to pay him during this time. In addition they are correctly making a contribution to him having independent employment law advice and that person would need to sign off the SA as the legal adviser.

Given that your husband only has 7 months service at the company, then effectively he can be dismissed for no reason and it would only be considered an unfair dismissal, if the reason was in fact discrimination or is covered by a few other specific situations.
        If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

Thank you. It is difficult for me to explain in detail. The reason for wanting to get rid of him is related to a known disability. He has done nothing wrong. They were able to end his probation negatively but they had not followed a fair and proper process e.g no reviews, no guidance on what was needed to enable him to pass. It is simply a case of them not liking him for reasons related to his disability. They could have done a lot more to assist him but chose not to. He is a hard worker with a great work ethic. Thank you for your help.

Comment

Disability discrimination would be a potentially unfair dismissal even without 2 years service and that would explain the reason for the SA. An SA means that your husband gives up his rights to bring a claim in respect of his termination from the company.

I presume your husband's disability was known about when they employed him or soon after?
            Did his employer ask about any reasonable adjustments for him to do his job. He may not have needed them but did they ask the question if they knew of his disability?

I would suggest that given he has access to a level of paid legal advice that he speaks to an employment law adviser as soon as possible about the SA. Given how the company has treated him I am not sure whether he would would want to continue working for them anyway now. The SA should provide some additional monetary incentive, over and above what they are obliged to give his either statutory or contractually whichever is the greater, for him to give up his rights to bring an unfair dismissal claim. The adviser would be able to say whether the additional incentive is at the right level and if not they should on your husband's behalf try to negotiate a higher payment, albeit the company may not agree.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
            See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
            X