• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Non-Contractual Restrictive Covenants

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Non-Contractual Restrictive Covenants

Hi all - first time poster, wonder if you can help me with this.

I'm employed as a Marketing Consultant in Scotland for Company A. At work, I have a client (Company B) who unexpectedly last week asked me to join them as a permanent employee, rather than as an external contractor. I've had a think about their offer, and I'd like to accept.

I've had a look at my contract of employment with Company A - there are no restrictive covenants which prevent me from working with Company B. However, the Managing Director of Company B has flagged to me that their contract with my employer (Company A) has a term which states that to hire me, Company B would be due to pay my current employer a recruitment fee, equal to my current annual salary - £35,000.

This is unaffordable for Company B. As such, they are now considering withdrawing their offer - meaning I'd need to stay with Company A.

I have some questions:

1) Is such a term enforceable by Company A?
    2) Can anyone think of any way around this if not?

Thanks in advance
    Tags: None

Q1. Such terms are enforceable. There is nothing "non-contractual" about this. It is a term of the contract between the two companies. Such terms are common: your employer does not want its clients poaching its staff. As to the £35,000, this is a matter between the two companies.

Q2. Can Comany B do some kind of a deal with Company A?
    Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Thanks! I meant non-contractual in the sense that its not in my own contract - just to clarify! I'm not quite sure if there's a deal to be done - looks like I'll need to revert to Company B.

Comment

It's entirely a matter of negotiation between your employer and the client company. Basically it comes down to how much the client company wants you and how much they are prepared to pay. (I suspect £35k is not actually unaffordable to company B. More likely you aren't worth that much to them. Not trying to be unkind - simply trying to be realistic)

Comment

I mean, to be fair - they only have 8 employees, so I trust them when they say 35k is unaffordable.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
          See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
          X