• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Terrible timing, permanent job has come up whilst in a fixed term contract

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Terrible timing, permanent job has come up whilst in a fixed term contract

Hi,

I just wonder what could happen in the following situation.

I started a fixed term job (A) nearly 2 months ago (which has 1 months notice from day 1 of starting) after what would be a long story as I really tried to persevere at first, I have been unhappy and not performing so well even, but I figure the one month notice is because the department I joined is short staffed, to the point it had recently gotten I was refused annual leave (I know the employer can do this) and had a 1-2-1 cancelled which probably wasn't so helpful as I have been less able to give an indication yet how I feel it is going.

I have now been offered a permanent role in a totally different industry which I am much more confident I can do, but the start date means I would only been able to give fixed term employer a weeks notice. I could get a later start date but this means I would then be taking on a risk of short fixed term contract with the new employer.

I appreciate this is burning bridges but I have reached a point of being quite unhappy with job A and wouldn't want to work in their industry again.
    Equally I am nervous how they will react as they seem to keep even under performers on, again possibly due to the under handed nature of the dept - how messy can it get?

Can I offer to pay my way out, but how would that work with HMRC.

Tags: None

Clearly your options include resigning with immediate effect. As you say, this is likely to entail burning bridges. You will need to decide for yourself whether this will be a problem for you, or something you want to do.
    Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

You do not say how long the fixed term contract has to run.
      Talk to your current employer - see how they will react.
      The essence of making a choice is that one opportunity is taken to the exclusion of others. We cannot get through this life without making choices. Sometimes it is better to live with them. Sometimes, you just have to.

Comment

Thank you enormously for your thoughts, I had tried looking but nothing really come up against any posts where people have held a fixed term role and then suddenly find themselves with a permanent offer elsewhere at the wrong time so it is appreciated.

I have 10 months left of a fixed term role so employment expires next summer and there is a number of us being taken on, but in stages where I am currently.

I have had a chat and tried to resign softly but I don't think that is working (albeit there is now some reduction from a month).

Now there was a problem end of the 4th week when they (the employer) determined I had made some mistakes/doing some tasks not to their liking which started all this deflation off - can I ask the employer what would have happened if I'd said then here is my notice, lets call it a day?

Comment

You can ask. What use will an answer be?
          Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

I would suggest that you speak to your employer, explain that you have been offered a new permanent job elsewhere which is a good opportunity for you and would there be any flexibility to work less than your contractual notice.

You may find they are agreeable to a reduced notice.
            If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
            If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
            See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
            X