• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Is it assault to intentionally throw a piece of paper at someone at work?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it assault to intentionally throw a piece of paper at someone at work?

Is it assault to intentionally throw a piece of paper at someone at work? An employee felt angry to receive an informal warning letter, stormed into my workspace (her manager), threw the letters at my face saying she wasn't having it and stormed out. It hit my face, with no injury, there were witnesses that confirmed it to be inappropriate.
    Is it a MUST for the police to be informed?
    Is it harassment?
    The employee's argument is that I am bullying her with too many letters/warnings. All health or mental health possible explanations have already been explored from her end.
    The thing is, I am fed up as there is constant disrespect from employees, I have made several complaints to my line managers but they do nothing about it, and now my line managers are going on about me being too harsh on her and will uphold parts of her complaint of bullying against me.
    Is it an automatic reason for constructive dismissal (I am under 2 years)? If so can you please elaborate on the relevant legislation?
    Tags: None

If you are under 2 years of service then unfortunately you cannot make a claim for constructive unfair dismissal.

Given that you did not sustain any injury, I do not believe that it is a must for the police to be informed, they are more than likely to see it as a workplace incident that should be dealt with by the company.

In terms of your response to this specific incident then you may want to consider raising a formal grievance against the employee in accordance with your grievance procedure.
    If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
    If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

It is a very minor assault. The police need not be involved.
      A right not to be dismissed unfairly only begins after 2 years service.

Comment

- No

Is it harassment?

- Harassment involves a course of conduct - more than one instance.
        Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by Nina2022 View Post
          Is it assault to intentionally throw a piece of paper at someone at work? An employee felt angry to receive an informal warning letter, stormed into my workspace (her manager), threw the letters at my face saying she wasn't having it and stormed out. It hit my face, with no injury, there were witnesses that confirmed it to be inappropriate.
          Is it harassment?
          The employee's argument is that I am bullying her with too many letters/warnings. All health or mental health possible explanations have already been explored from her end.
          The thing is, I am fed up as there is constant disrespect from employees, I have made several complaints to my line managers but they do nothing about it, and now my line managers are going on about me being too harsh on her and will uphold parts of her complaint of bullying against me.
          Is it an automatic reason for constructive dismissal (I am under 2 years)? If so can you please elaborate on the relevant legislation?
          Be honest you seem to have lost control of subordinates, might be time to elaborate on your position, as sounds not a one off instance, as for stating assualt by a piece of paper? suspect comment? having been manager and many different circumstances have arisen I would suggest that the job position not for you and would kindly suggest look to find another job more in line with your ability? sometime we have to be honest with ourselves!

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
          See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
          X