• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Discrimination question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Discrimination question

Hi there, I had written on this previously but unfortunately didn't receive any advice.

I am taking my employer to a tribunal and trying to do so on the basis of Discrimination and Harassment.

One of my complaints relates to a 'Lived Experience' research paper which was commissioned by my employer and carried out by university researchers. Reading the report, it is clear that the 'theoretical frameworks' used by the reporters to interpret their findings was a highly ideological and massively skewed theoretical framework. They interpreted the findings using Raewyn Connells theory of 'Hegemonic Masculinity' (a derivative of Antonio Gramsci's Marxist theory of Cultural Hegemony). Connell him/herself was a leading member of the radical political movement of the 60s and 70s led by Herbert Marcuse, known as the New Left.

So, off the bat, the researchers are clearly partisan and any findings that they made were going to reflect the massively partisan theoretical models they relied upon. In other words, the findings were a fait accompli.

Furthermore, the standard of evidence used in this research was 'Lived Experience', which is to say anecdotal evidence.

Furthermore, 7 of the reports findings contained the same footnote which explained that 'Whilst specific supporting research evidence was not found by the research team, this finding was considered by Organisaton to be generally known and understood by Organisation'.

The main finding around which all other 'findings' act as support beams declares that: 'A white male prototype is pervasive and undermines inclusion'

The report recommends 'changing the culture'.

Issues I have with this report.

The clear fraud of having the commissioners of research dictate to the research team which findings to include in their report despite lack of evidence, as evidenced by the footnote.

The fact that the theoretical models employed by the researchers were obviously ideological in nature and meant the report was going to be massively biased and arguing from conclusions from the beginning.

Giving anecdotal evidence undue weight and using it as a justification for enacting policy changes which will prove to be discriminatory ie 'changing the culture' means getting rid of the pervasive white male.

Referring to a 'white male prototype' being dehumanising to an entire group who share a protected characteristic. I especially take exception to use of the word prototype as it implies that there is nothing an individual can do to escape being tarred with the brush. It's part of their prototype, in other word it's like a genetic defect or something formulated in the womb.

Saying that this prototype is 'pervasive' makes it sound like they're dealing with vermin rather than human beings. Like they have a pest control problem.

Accusing an entire protected group of 'undermining inclusion'

I consider publishing work like this to be an act of direct discrimination and/or of harassment. Harassment especially because it absolutely has the purpose AND effect of violating my dignity and of creating an intimidating, hostile, degrading, humiliating or offensive environment for me as a member of that group.

My question is that the respondents lawyers are saying I can't bring such claims because they are not aimed at me directly/personally as it has to be about how I am PERSONALLY treated.

Now, I think that's an overly literal interpretation of the equality act. I think they are trying to stick to the letter of the law and not the spirit.

Does anyone have any opinion they could give? I'm going to argue that use of the word 'person' in the legislation shouldn't be treated so restrictively as Person A in the Equality Act doesn't mean an individual necessarily but can represent an entire corporate body. Similarly, then, you should be able to interpret Person B as being representative of the entire Protected group and thus permit an individual to bring a claim as an individual member of that group when that whole group is targeted.

It simply cannot be the case that an employer can be as racist or as bigoted as they like towards a protected characteristic group so long as they don't aim it towards any particular individual within that group.

I'd welcome your thoughts.
    Last edited by Chambertin; 12th August 2022, 19:33:PM.
    Tags: None

Hi there, I had written on this previously but unfortunately didn't receive any advice.

I am taking my employer to a tribunal and trying to do so on the basis of Discrimination and Harassment.

One of my complaints relates to a 'Lived Experience' research paper which was commissioned by my employer and carried out by university researchers. Reading the report, it is clear that the 'theoretical frameworks' used by the reporters to interpret their findings was a highly ideological and massively skewed theoretical framework. They interpreted the findings using Raewyn Connells theory of 'Hegemonic Masculinity' (a derivative of Antonio Gramsci's Marxist theory of Cultural Hegemony). Connell him/herself was a leading member of the radical political movement of the 60s and 70s led by Herbert Marcuse, known as the New Left.

So, off the bat, the researchers are clearly partisan and any findings that they made were going to reflect the massively partisan theoretical models they relied upon. In other words, the findings were a fait accompli.

Furthermore, the standard of evidence used in this research was 'Lived Experience', which is to say anecdotal evidence.

Furthermore, 7 of the reports findings contained the same footnote which explained that 'Whilst specific supporting research evidence was not found by the research team, this finding was considered by Organisaton to be generally known and understood by Organisation'.

The main finding around which all other 'findings' act as support beams declares that: 'A white male prototype is pervasive and undermines inclusion'

The report recommends 'changing the culture'.

Issues I have with this report.

The clear fraud of having the commissioners of research dictate to the research team which findings to include in their report despite lack of evidence, as evidenced by the footnote.

The fact that the theoretical models employed by the researchers were obviously ideological in nature and meant the report was going to be massively biased and arguing from conclusions from the beginning.

Giving anecdotal evidence undue weight and using it as a justification for enacting policy changes which will prove to be discriminatory ie 'changing the culture' means getting rid of the pervasive white male.

Referring to a 'white male prototype' being dehumanising to an entire group who share a protected characteristic. I especially take exception to use of the word prototype as it implies that there is nothing an individual can do to escape being tarred with the brush. It's part of their prototype, in other word it's like a genetic defect or something formulated in the womb.

Saying that this prototype is 'pervasive' makes it sound like they're dealing with vermin rather than human beings. Like they have a pest control problem.

Accusing an entire protected group of 'undermining inclusion'

I consider publishing work like this to be an act of direct discrimination and/or of harassment. Harassment especially because it absolutely has the purpose AND effect of violating my dignity and of creating an intimidating, hostile, degrading, humiliating or offensive environment for me as a member of that group.

My question is that the respondents lawyers are saying I can't bring such claims because they are not aimed at me directly/personally as it has to be about how I am PERSONALLY treated.

Now, I think that's an overly literal interpretation of the equality act. I think they are trying to stick to the letter of the law and not the spirit.

Does anyone have any opinion they could give? I'm going to argue that use of the word 'person' in the legislation shouldn't be treated so restrictively as Person A in the Equality Act doesn't mean an individual necessarily but can represent an entire corporate body. Similarly, then, you should be able to interpret Person B as being representative of the entire Protected group and thus permit an individual to bring a claim as an individual member of that group when that whole group is targeted.

It simply cannot be the case that an employer can be as racist or as bigoted as they like towards a protected characteristic group so long as they don't aim it towards any particular individual within that group.

I'd welcome your thoughts.

Comment

The lawyers are correct.

Investigate acting as whistleblower

Comment

All the contributors are voluntary. Some are very knowledgeable. However, this is complex involving a number of philosophical arguments.
        My simple understanding is that there is a racist attitude in many areas of society, read Boakye on its existence in schools.
        I think people who commission research can set the parameters. Providing these are made clear.
        I only got a first degree and struggle to understand your post. Sorry but my limitations.

Comment

Hi Chambertin it would seem that you have posted this question across more than one forum area and this appears to be on the same subject as a thread you already have running. Having already merged threads for you previously and requesting that you remain on one thread only I have had to again merge this same question into one thread.

If you want to continue seeking free legal advice via the forum I really must ask that you remain on the one thread only for consistency and ease of our volunteer community being able to provide their best guidance and advice to you.

To bring a claim for direct discrimination then you need to prove that you either suffered discrimination and harassment due to a protected characteristic. To succeed as a claimant you need to establish on the balance of probabilities less favourable treatment because of a protected characteristic. The less favourable treatment should be judged against a comparator whose circumstances are materially similar and the reason must in some way be tainted by a prohibited characteristic.

There is also indirect discrimination which happens when there is a policy that applies in the same way for everybody but disadvantages a group of people who share a protected characteristic, and you are disadvantaged as part of this group.

Which are you claiming.
          If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
          If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
          See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
          X